Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there -

I've got a 20 gallon tank (the 30" long type) with a pair of L. multis, a sinlge J. regani, a pair of xenotilapia flavipinnis, and a single N. brichardi. These are all juvies (1-1.5") with the exception of perhaps the multis, growing out until the group is upgraded to a larger tank down the road. My question is this: the LFS has 2 juvie N. pulcher "daffodil" available for a pretty reasonable price that are close to the same size as my N. brichardi. They look pretty similar now, so I was wondering if crossbreeding and/or conspecific aggression might be an issue between the 2 species in the future? As the shellies and juli seem to spend all of their time at the bottom of the tank, I wanted to get something else to occupy the mid to upper regions, which is where the brichardi seems to spend most of its time.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

PS - I've been on the lookout for something like cyps or paracyps to add, but they just aren't available in a comparable size around here.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Technically they are now considered the same species, but different geographical collection points. If you get a pair, and they will hybridize, the rest of the fish in your tank will likely end up dead.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kind of figured as much - that's why I've just got the single brichardi in there now. I read that pairs can be extremely viscous. Oh well, I'll just keep looking for something more suited to life in a community. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
As an aside- I do not recommend adding either cyps or paracyps to your current set up. Paracyps might survive, but they are best kept in groups of at least six and in tanks 40 gallons and larger, particularly if other species are present. With your current stocking list, you may consider investing in a 40g long (48") tank sooner rather than later, and use it for xenos, julies, and paracyps, leaving your 20g for the multies and a singleton brichardi.

If you are looking for action through the middle of the tank, get more of the good species you already have- a good stocking list would be 5 L. multifaciatus with the single brichardi. If you had smaller julie species (transcriptus or ornatus), they would do well as a group in there, too.

Without providing suitable mates and territory for any of your fish, you are not going to get the full activity and use of the whole tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts