Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse this question if it's dumb, but I don't know that much about tangs...

I bought 2 1.5 inch brichardis about a month ago. The first one was the only one left at that particular store and was a good price so I bought it- it was very shy and since I was hoping to get a pair for a 29g, I went to another store a couple days later and bought another about the same size. The second fish was cowering in a corner because the other two in its tank at the lfs had paired up. I brought it home and my previously shy little fish harassed and chased it, so badly that it would hide behind the filter intake! I felt bad but now they seem to tolerate each other, they have territories at each end of the tank but do interact. Since I honestly cannot tell what sex these fish are, can 2 males live together without killing each other? I'm leaning towards male for the first fish because it's starting to develop the slight head bump but I don't know about the second one. I would be happy if it was a girl, but I don't have good luck with this so I'm guessing it's a male too. Plus I don't know if they are too small to pair, but I thought they paired at small sizes sometimes.

Any hints or advice at what to look for and behavior to watch would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do want to get more but they are $15 each at the lfs- cheaper at Petco but I was too slow to get them and I only got one. The lfs has the pair and if I got desperate enough I could just buy them. I guess I'm just going to wait until I can get some at a reasonable price or if they start to fight. The tank has plenty of slate caves and hiding spots so I think they will be okay for a little while longer.

I wasn't planning to get started on this tank this soon but did because the price was right and I hadn't seen the fish locally in a long time. We'll see...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.