Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse this question if it's dumb, but I don't know that much about tangs...

I bought 2 1.5 inch brichardis about a month ago. The first one was the only one left at that particular store and was a good price so I bought it- it was very shy and since I was hoping to get a pair for a 29g, I went to another store a couple days later and bought another about the same size. The second fish was cowering in a corner because the other two in its tank at the lfs had paired up. I brought it home and my previously shy little fish harassed and chased it, so badly that it would hide behind the filter intake! I felt bad but now they seem to tolerate each other, they have territories at each end of the tank but do interact. Since I honestly cannot tell what sex these fish are, can 2 males live together without killing each other? I'm leaning towards male for the first fish because it's starting to develop the slight head bump but I don't know about the second one. I would be happy if it was a girl, but I don't have good luck with this so I'm guessing it's a male too. Plus I don't know if they are too small to pair, but I thought they paired at small sizes sometimes.

Any hints or advice at what to look for and behavior to watch would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think two males will live together IF there are no females present. The best option is to buy some more fish, and let them sort it out. Even if you have 1M/1F now, they may not be a compatible pair. If I was you, I would get 4 more.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i ended up buying around 6 recently from a petco. ended up with two at one end of the tank and 3 at the other. give em plenty of rock and choice. if one gets picked on more then others ur best bet imo is removing it. as with all cichlids however its best to start with more then u actually need. i suggest trying to find a local forum/CL add to maybe find some from another hobbyist. cheap way to hopefully find some females (in community setting they dont typically allow many males to linger) just my two cents GL to ya.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do want to get more but they are $15 each at the lfs- cheaper at Petco but I was too slow to get them and I only got one. The lfs has the pair and if I got desperate enough I could just buy them. I guess I'm just going to wait until I can get some at a reasonable price or if they start to fight. The tank has plenty of slate caves and hiding spots so I think they will be okay for a little while longer.

I wasn't planning to get started on this tank this soon but did because the price was right and I hadn't seen the fish locally in a long time. We'll see...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts