Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks

my "comm tank" has been going on nicely until this morning.

i discover my N.birchardi has a gill cover bitten off! :eek:

will it die?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well that is not too good, I would suspect that death is imminent. The gill plate is there to protect the gills, and since it is a very important function, it is now exposed, it is certainly not a good thing. I would suggest taking it out and giving it a decent death by putting it in a bag of ice and water, death will be instant but painless.

I knowticed that there were about 50 reads on your topic, and not one reply, wonder whats up with this forum, some people get all kinds of replies and other do not.

Well I know this was not the answer you were looking for but that is what I would do.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Huh?
my lil Lab got his gill plate torn off.
he is doing fine for 2 months & his gill plate is almost all back. :thumb:
Just keep up your water changes :fish:

·
Registered
414 Posts
i dont think it will die, i have seen plenty of fish born with no gill plate that have lived just fine. so the gills work alright with no plate... i guess it all depends if the gill itself is damaged, or if infection sets in. and of course the fish is now in alot of trouble if the attacker goes for that same spot again. so tough call !! but my vote would be to treat it with melafix and see how she goes....

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah I have a tiger barb named Gillie that hasn't had a gill plate for 6 months and is doing fine.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
What else is in the tank?
I'm not sure if that's a recoverable injury, however a bag of ice and water is certainly not instant, pain is debatable. The best method to euthanize is clove oil mixed with tank water to put the fish to sleep followed by vodka or other highly toxic liquid.
Regarding number of readers per respondents, guests without accounts can browse topics but cannot reply.
Because C-F generally has a guest to member ratio in the range of 7-10 to 1, the number of views per thread can seem very high compared to replies.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
jmlp3 said:
Well that is not too good, I would suspect that death is imminent. The gill plate is there to protect the gills, and since it is a very important function, it is now exposed, it is certainly not a good thing. I would suggest taking it out and giving it a decent death by putting it in a bag of ice and water, death will be instant but painless.

I knowticed that there were about 50 reads on your topic, and not one reply, wonder whats up with this forum, some people get all kinds of replies and other do not.

Well I know this was not the answer you were looking for but that is what I would do.
Sometimes the answer is in the library,or the 50 views didn't have an answer. I mean look how many registered users there are on this forum. Some questions are repetitive and sometimes the same post is 2 posts down and already answered. Also depends on where you post too. I think you may have gotten a quicker response in the illness,health ,and nutrition section. :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The best method to euthanize is clove oil mixed with tank water to put the fish to sleep followed by vodka or other highly toxic liquid.

I find putting the fish in a plastic baggie and smashing it's head with a hammer works as well, followed by consumption of vodka or beverage of choice.

·
Super Moderator
40,483 Posts
Or we may not know the answer. I've never had a fish with a gill cover ripped off and can't recall reading about whether it will grow back or not.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It won't grow back. Unpredictable as to whether it will survive or not. A fish can live without a gill plate, but that precludes secondary infection, having exposed gills picked on... and so on...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GTZ said:
What else is in the tank?

i suspect the culprit is yellow lab mbuna or red shoulder peacock.

1) my yellow lab is aggressive to all fish in my tank. super dominant king from the start!

2) next my red shoulder peacock grows very fast and recently is becoming very aggressive to my victorian zebra obliquens

3) zebra obliquens is a mellow guy.
4) syndonits catfish do not meddle with other fishes in my tank.

i read that bichardi is a nasty fellow but seems like it is no match for malawi?
i have taken it out in a hospital tank and now seems ok and eating as usual.

thanks for advice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts