Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the ruby red hybrid or not hybrid? people say they are hybrid and profile say they are not hybrid but line bred. so what the different between line bred n hybrid? i know hybrid are from two different type of fish awhile line bred is where u pick the best color males n females offspring from the same fish n bred them. i know that both hybrid n line bred fish are not in the wild. but still line bred are call as hybrid which i highly think it is wrong to include as a hybrid.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I think someone knowledgeable recently said they are line bred but there are a lot of imitators and some are hybrids so it's hard to know if you are getting the true line-bred fish anymore.

For people who want the look of the lake, as you say neither hybrid or line-bred will be to their liking. I have a couple "line-bred" peacocks in my tank now and some I like, some not so much.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Nobody knows how they were made. They could be line bred, they could be hybrid.

As it is, there were originally two types Ruby Red, and German Red... those who claim line bred, claimed one was from baenschi, one was from Maleri... the Ruby Reds and German Reds have been hybridized to some extent... who knows how much, in North America.

So, if you believe the "original" imports were linebred, then many of the domestics appear to be hybrids, and there is no way of knowing which are, and which aren't.

Ultimately, they are man made fish, and whether they are, or aren't hybrids shouldn't diminish their beauty as an ornamental aquarium fish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.