Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beautiful Curvicep (dwarf flag cichlid) has developed white patches on its scales over the last 2 weeks, forward on the upper part of its body. *** never seen anything like it and while it didn't seem to bother him, it has slowly got worse and he is now hiding.

At first the spots were invisible when looking perpendicular to him but highly visible when looking head on. I cant see any damage to the scales and no other fish appear affected in any way.

No new fish have been added in a very long time. Water parameters are very good, 0,0,10. pH has been a little higher than I would like at 7.6 but even my GB rams, who would be the first to tell me something was up, look perfectly healthy. I tried Esha 2000 but it didn't work and I'm stumped. Can anyone help please?

E47E1E08-8B8F-4E3B-89F9-167DB024385E by CAFC00A8-763E-4BD8-BF56-EF2C17776758 by 69A50932-8B6E-4219-8AE0-2C9000D04F26 by 5B726EB7-BE4C-45E1-979E-55243336A9D4 by 0483876C-B90C-4011-A173-485A89602E80 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, no one has any idea? Its been several weeks and my poor fish is looking bad. Some days it hides and sits at the bottom but then a few days later its swimming around as though nothing it up. This is how it looks now. I have tried different intensities of salt baths. The first two looked to clear it up but then it just reappeared worse than before.

Can anyone help...please?

2013BBFB-1218-4832-892F-03E9679BE3E6

Oddly, when looking side on it seems fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Sorry you haven't got an answer yet and it does seem as if it looks worse in the more recent pics you posted. I also agree that the side view doesn't seem to show it as clearly.

Since your tank is planted, are you dosing any fertilizers or other products?

I am not too familiar with fish diseases but I wonder if it is Columnaris? I'd hate to have you treat for it without knowing if that is what it actually is so suggest you search online for additional descriptions AND pics of fish that might have it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

P.S. Check out This post from CF for treatment of known Columnaris or the link to pics in the bottom of the 7th post in this topic as the top couple pics seem similar to your fish pics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I continued the salt treatment quite intensely until the white bits came back. It resembles ich but I've never seen it like this before and absolutely no other fish are effected. It seems to be the scales that are going white which can only be seen head on. *** tried Esha 2000 as well but no effect.
I use root tabs but I have used them for years. The only thing *** added are indian almond leaves.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its spreading... :(
and I cant seem to stop it. I bought more salt which seemed to work then ended up doing nothing. I'm now trying King British Fin Rot and Fungus which gives a lot of waffty info about fungus and bacterior infections and a message saying it contains 2-Phenoxyethanol5.66% w/w, whatever that means. What should I try next?

My beautiful Rams are now being effected too.

My males with a white hole at the bottom of its top fin

343DEC23-38CC-4213-B0F6-BDE67E952B9A

My female has a large white lump on the side of her head. Doesn't look too bad from the side...

1AC7A62B-BC30-412E-B52D-6BBB46C247F9

but head on you can see how large and bulbous it is.

2F6BF076-FF8A-44DB-B068-4D1DF3073266

·
Registered
210 Posts
If it were columnaris the fish would all have died a long time ago so it is probably just ich.

Salt baths are not really enough to get id of it. Once you get it bad you'll have to salt the whole tank, make large water changes, and raise the heat or it's probably not going anywhere. Malachite green is probably a good idea, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts