Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had this interesting suprise this afternnon after filling my new 125g last night. it's some sort of very dense fog, that seems to be seeping out of the substrate. i was able to vaccum it up for the most part, but more kept coming up. this aquarium has a DIY slate backround, and DIY styro rock stacks. products in the tank are...

styrofoam [high density]
silicone [DAP]
epoxy paint [Olympic pool grade]
acrylic [ductile]
slate
tahitian moon sand

i suspect it's organic funk leaching out of some old moon sand that i had sitting in a bucket. the stuff never dried, and had a bit of rotten egg smell, that dissapated quickly, once spread out in the aquarium. or possibly a chemical reaction w/ some of the stuff i used in the backround. if that were the case though, i would think it wouldn't be leeching out of the sand. the other possibilty is slate dust. i did rinse the rocks down, but i also did some cutting inside the aquarium, as a last resort to repair a problem.

here's a look...

·
Registered
130 Posts
That is wierd, is there water in there? It looks like smoke, are you sure you aren't using it as a bong?

G

·
mine did something like that nd it took my a day of emptying and refilling the whole tank over and over again then it get cloudy but now its fine hope u have a python GL

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol raven...now that u mention it, i may have to try it!

strange..i do have a python and the tank has already been emptied. i'll rinse the sand and refill the tank. let the filters do the rest.

i just wanted to make sure i wasn't having some sort of weird chemical reaction.

·
Registered
84 Posts
if it does not cloud the whole tank i think it would look pretty cool, could be a new sorta trend.

don't know how the fish will like it but it would look cool!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Honestly It would scare me to have that happening. It is definitely a chemical reaction of some sort Whether is stuff precipitating out of the water where it contacts the sand or stuff from the sand comming up I would ditch the sand and get some clean stuff. Especially since you have done some water changes and its still doing it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually all i did was drain the tank back sown malawi. the sand has yet to be rinsed, other than filling the tank that one time. i will rinse it outside the tank and see if it happens again on the next fill up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
rinse the heck out of it

If it was never rinsed, there are all kinds of particles in it. Then try :thumb:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it is actually the silicone coming apart. the entire backround must be removed and tossed in the trash, because i'm an idiot,lol.

ty for the help anyway guys. :fish:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts