Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: 135 all male hap/peacock mix
H20 Parameters: Excellent, with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and about 10 nitrate. Ph 7.6

History: Over the past month, I've had two mystery deaths: a protomelas johnstoni and venustus died rather suddenly. Over the course of 1-2 days they stopped eating, became reclusive, and died with no external symptoms. I even did an autopsy on the venustus and found nothing.

Problem: I have a swallowtail jake (a most beautiful fish) who is now spitting anything that comes into his mouth. Over the past two days I've observed him taking in a pellet, then spitting it out. Both 1 mm and 3 mm pellet sizes are rejected whole; they are not broken up at all. After a few tries, he swims away and stops trying to eat. While he still is interested in food, he is acting a bit more reclusive. All other inhabitants appear and behave normally. I have 10 gallon and 55 gallon hospital tanks ready and available if needed.

Question: Am I having an outbreak of bloat amongst my show fish? What steps, if any, should I take with this jake?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
What does the poop look like? If it is normal (thick and brown or food-colored) it's not bloat. If it is white/clear and fine/thready...like mucous then I'd treat for bloat.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen any poop from this fish. Been observing for a couple of days now, but nothing. The other fishes' look normal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had very similar fish deaths. I lost a fish at the end of December and then one the end of February. Both fish stopped eating, became reclusive and died almost exactly 2 1/2 days after stopping eating. Neither fish had physical signs of injury or illness. The 1st one just stopped eating and we thought it was holding eggs and were shocked when it died. Two months later I noticed the 2nd fish spitting pellets and 2 1/2 days later it was dead. I test the water religiously and do 30% water changes once a week.
I never found out what killed them.
Unfortunately I can't give you an answer but at least now you know your not the only one dealing with this :-?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts