Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We were recently gifted this cichlid at a party and have thus been unwittingly introduced to the aquarium hobby. He is our first fish and we have taken to him quite a bit but are unsure of what kind of cichlid he is. We have asked at several local fish stores and have got a variety of answers. He is about an inch and a half right now, and very inquisitive and friendly. We are a bit worried that his pink gills might be a sign of some irritation (ammonia & nitrite are 0) but don't know if that is normal for whatever kind of fish he is. I have linked a video to him as well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ahdj3WGDhjR7oHz28

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply! I've heard those 2 from LFS employees so that seems to line up. I've also heard convict. Do you have any idea of how fast that kind of hybrid might grow? We have him in a 20 gallon right now, but we know that we will most probably have to get a larger tank at some point. Also are they ok to live alone or will they get depressed?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, this information is super helpful! I have been so surprised at how welcoming and helpful people in the fish keeping hobby have been. At what length would you recommend that we upgrade our tank? And are there any other things we should watch out or think about when keeping him? Are there things to add to the tank to keep him entertained like bubblers?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Auballagh, the master kit was one of the first things we got and we use it every day. I've ordered a hardness kit as well since I've read that that can matter a lot.

We have a good amount of sand and Seiryu stones that he has buried under to create a cave. We are getting some plants that he will hopefully not tear up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts