Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what this is? A few fish have it, but this was the only one that I could get good pics of.

A 40% water change is performed weekly. Tank size is 55 gallons with a Rena filstar xp xl filter. I have the spray bar pointed up to increase surface agitation.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:40
Ph:7.8
Food:spirulina flakes/pellets, omega one cichlid pellets, nori sheets.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Is he a pond raised fish?

Did you get him within the last 12 months?

If yes they often have a parasite called black spot...I've always found it to be harmless, although you see some horror stories on the internet.

It is harmless in an indoor aquarium because the other creatures (heron for one) necessary to the life cycle of the parasite are not present in your house.

IME it goes away eventually by itself but it takes a long time. Months and months.

I tried all the usual parasite remedies to no available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's not a pond raised fish as far as I know. I bought him for petco when he was about 2 inches long, sold him about a year ago because I had an improperly stocked tank and he was being mean, bought him again recently when he and his tankmates popped up on my local facebook page.

He was in a severely overstocked tank. I'm wondering if this is an after effect. But two of my other fish have this same thing. They're all yellow type mbunas. An electric yellow, a hybrid, and the crabro. The first two have been mine since I got them from the lfs.

Also, some of the black stuff in the crabro disappeared. I got home from work and checked. He just has a few black dots by his lips now. The other stuff disappeared.

There were tiny bubbles sticking to him. I aimed the spray bar upwards to increase surface agitation because I needed to use the wavemaker for a different tank. I has 2,but moved back at the beginning of may and misplaced one. I can't get another wave maker til next week.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Fish like yellow labs can have dirty-looking pigment on their jaws...called a beard. It can be worse when they are excited or stressed, but may not go away even when the fish are happy and content.

It is possible to get strains that have just the clean yellow and no bearding, but it is not a rash or disease...just extra pigment that might not be desirable to some.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts