Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just setup my 100g acrylic aquarium (less then 2 days ago) and transferred my fish to the tank (I used the aquarium water of their old tank to help fill up the new tank). The landscape inside is Cichlid sand washed with cold water and 70 lbs of rock from a landscaping yard that I boiled for a total of 20 min each. I let the rocks cool down for approx 1.5 hours. I got home yesterday and looked at my thermometer and it read 90 degrees!!!!!! I checked the heater and it is working properly. this morning I checked again and the temp is down to 88 degrees.

Did I not let the rocks cool off enough to dissipate the heat entirely? The rocks were warm but not burning hot. The fish are fine and actually enjoying the much much larger space they have now.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
What temperature is your heater set at?

I would probably unplug it just to make sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the heater is set to 78 like it always has been. I didn't make any changes to the dial. Also this has a sump with a Rio 2100, do the submersible pumps give off heat enough to add to the temperature?

The temperature is lowering though, it was at 90 now at 88. I will have my son check it when he gets home so I can see if it is going down even more.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
unplug heater, turn off lights and wait... this is the temp of your tank being heated by ambient room temp and your return pump.
Turn on lights and monitor temp...
Turn on heater and make sure it doesn't come on. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I can not understand why people still have heaters operating in Jun. It is a waste of power and asking for trouble.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually in California right now it is about 70 degrees and my house is usually cold except when it gets to above 90 degrees. Besides I dont like warm rooms so either its cool in the house or my AC is on full blast. And FYI the lights were not on at all on the aquarium from the time I set everything up till the time I got the tempurature reading.

Would the boiled rocks have anything to do with the temperature

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I don't think the rocks could have affected it, and not for this long. It sounds like a malfunctioning heater.

A heater does more than "heat" the water--it also keeps your tank at a fairly constant temp. We use heaters year round even though the inside of our house usually does not vary more than 5-10 degrees (usually 68-78 ). A properly functioning heater will not be running very often in the summer, so how does it waste power? In the OPs case the heater is malfunctioning, but that could happen any time of the year.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
My mag24 submersible pumps have rendered heaters unecessary, regardless of season. They do kick out some heat.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Son just checked the temp and it is at 80 degrees now. So something was giving off heat. Heater is on too.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would caution you to watch the heater very carefully for a while. They can stick and then start operating right for a time and then stick again. If it is that, it can be fatal if the normal tank temperature is runnig pretty warm due to summer, lights, etc.
I would just watch it even more closely for a while.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@hrfhsf yup that is what I believe it was too. I replaced the heater though just in case and got a brand new one. The temperature finally went down to a steady 78 so all if fine now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts