Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Tanganyikan species do you think this fish is? She was sold to me as a he and is pretty thin only because she recently started eating (2 weeks ago now).

She was sold to me as a wild fish by a less than reputable dealer. I acquired a male partner for her only to find they look very, very different from one another. I realized that she was a female because she held unfertilized eggs without any partner in the tank

Although is is not that visible in the picture, the dorsal fin and the tail have a red tint.
She eats SF frozen brine and NLS Cichlid Pellet. She won't eat spirulina (a real surprise and concern for me) or anything else. When she wants to spawn she digs a shallow pit in the sand.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It appears to be some sort of Victorian type Haplochromine to me. Incredibly hard with most of them to tell the females apart.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input.

Mike Mehnta of the Chicago area, LIONVD on Aquabid, sold this to me as a wild male Ctenochromis horei last year. It turned out not to me a male but a female, and now... seemingly not a C. horei either.

Once I tracked down a male C. Horei for her, I started asking questions. I have seen nothing in terms of interaction between the two that suggests that they are both even Tanganyikans, yet alone of the same species.

Someone just suggested to be the possibility of a West African Benitochromis or Chromidotilapia. this seems like a particularly plausible idea.

Still, if anyone suggests otherwise, I am all ears.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
fiupntballr said:
Well he has two species there right?
Not sure its so hard to tell, surely a good tang dealer would label the fish?

Labels are not 100% accurate for sure (anywhere) but a good Tang importer should not have cichlids mixed up with fish from else were!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check out the link that I posted above. The mysterious Tanganyikan turned out to be a riverine West African: Ctenochromis polli.

I posted a wanted ad for C. horei, and the seller contacted me with this fish. I has taken me a while to figure out that this was not what I intended to acquire, and not the fish that he advertised.

Part of why I started aggressively hunting down other C. horei is because the C. polli was not adjusting well to Tanganyikan community tanks (its no wonder why now!). Strangely the fish has finally started to eat in a tropheus tank and goes untouched. Still, she will be moved to her own tank soon.

In the mean time, I now need female C. horei (the Tanganyikan) and a male C. polli (Westie)...

What a pain.

This is the third strike with this seller. He also sold me a "breeding pair" of Ophthalmotilapia ventralis 'Ulwile'. I later figured out that I had two males.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts