Cichlid Fish Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thank for the compliments!! Did get some fish!! Will post pics real soon. More to come.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
You did a great job on it! Because the right and left side look so different, I wouldn't have guessed it was to hide the overflow things or whatever they were. Love all the caves too. Can't wait to see it with the fish.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Finally I got some fish and some pics!! Check these out!!!!

Hope you guys enjoy. Love this tank and its new fish. Some stocking ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanx for all your help and info from everyone on this site. Cichlid-forum really helped me do this. And turned me onto cichlids. Thanks to all at cichlid forum!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow R-DUB!!! Looking absolutely awesome! Looks like you are going for the Mbuna's with the labs, zebra and a johanni? I am researching haps and peacocks for mine so probably not much help there. In the Library on this site there is some cookie cutter recipes under Quick Reference. Also the tank that got me excited about African cichlids is an all male Hap/Peacock tank on the site Rate My Fish Tank. Here is the address: www.ratemyfishtank.com/photo-main.php/20201.
You may also look at cichlidrecipe.com as they also have some recipes and a chart for African cichlids compatability.
Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in.
:fish: :thumb: :fish:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thanks Amazilia Ill check that out. I already make food for my giant fancy goldfish. Orandas are such pigs. Might as well make some for my cichlids too. Joker I would try it asap. No more cleaning the back of the glass! No more staring at heaters or pump intakes etc.... It is really nice to enjoy just the fish! My only regret is not doing it sooner. GOOD LUCK!
:thumb:

·
Registered
319 Posts
tats one of the best bg's i've seen. but to be super critical, lose the fake plants, they just detract from the scene too much and, because i'm a fan of biotopes, they aren't biotope correct. i just believe that it will be sooooo much better without the plants, the rocks do enough for the tank. but thats just my personal opinion, kudo's on doing the project, it's beautiful

·
Registered
104 Posts
padlock 08 Agreed

The tank is so good & i feel the plants are too "goldfish" for the occasion!

The BG is amazing! Well done :thumb:

Dan

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Really think so. I felt it needed a little color. Maybe I will try and add more rocks. Build some height with them and remove the plants. Thanx for the critique. Always appreciated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like the fake plants!

I agree that they add the much needed color and in some time after algea grows on them they'll look more real.

IMO, everyone here is over critical about fake plants. Most guests at my house, that view my tanks, are surprised when told the plants are fake.

Don't worry, only experts like the members of this forum can really tell the difference.

Go easy on me...it's just my opinion. :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
i don't mind the fake plants but i have always liked the ones from craft stores better they look way better then the plastic ones and there cheaper as well just make sure you get the ones with out medal in them they work well don't have any pics but ill try and find some

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I've always been meaning to go to a craft store and look at the artificial plants they have. I had noticed in the past that they come in a much wider array of colors then do the aquarium companies offer. I think I will stick with what I got for now. I spent some $$$ on fish lately. The plants can wait for awhile. My fish seem to love the BG btw.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My hubby and I bought the EXACT same aquarium (used) so I am SO glad I stumbled upon this thread!! We are going to attempt our DIY background soon and try to make it look as much like Lake Tanganyika as possible for our soon to be Tropheus colonies :)

I do have one question for you though: Did you attach the background to the overflows? I assume so since you cut holes where the vents are :)

Can't wait to get started!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I did attach directly to the overflows. I kinda regret cutting out for the vent holes though. In retrospect I dont think that those vent holes really do much. I dont understand how the inner wall allows water to flow into the main chamber to then flow to the sump. Good Luck with your new BG please post pics!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
how do you get such fine detail when carveing the foam,it looks great and im thinking os starting to make ons for my 180,any tips,i looks great,also what tint did you use and did you glue to the back of tank thanks 18fisher

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
You can get some great ideas from the "sticky" at the top of the DIY section. Biggest tip I can give anyone on a BG is DO NOT carve from a solid block. I tried and tried this technique and it looks bad. I would say to add blocks on top of each other. Glueing them together with Gorilla Glue. Good Luck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I love this background! I was concerned about my overflow tower in my new 90 gallon, but now i think im going to proceed with building one like this.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thank you for your comments. If you have any Q's just PM me anytime glad to help! Good Luck!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I used a concrete coloring for tinting wet cement. It was mixed directly into the Drylok.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.