Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
is it just me or does the left side look like a apes face?
lol! i've been seeing that all this time. it looks like a chimpanzee.
the bg looks awesome though. great job.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Maybe I should have called it the cyclops monkey. Thanks alot! Now every time I look at my tank I will see this image. LOL I have added some aquascaping will send pics soon.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The fish are on hold right now. I need some side work for extra $$$. The overall cost was quite cheap. The styro was free from a friend.
Drylok 20.00
tint 8.00
silicone 20.00
pvc 5.00
gorilla glue 30.00
spray foam 7.00
brushes 5.00

Most of the cost was gorrila glue used to hold the small styro rocks together. The gorilla glue holds styro very well. Better than silicone, and dries in minutes not days. The pvc is hidden behind the BG so that I can run an airline or add a UGJ later on. Thanx

·
Registered
541 Posts
I am very impressed with your background, it looks awesome. I showed it to my wife and she was amazed as well. We really like the gorilla face on the left side. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Whats up with the whole gorilla-ape-chimp thing?? :x :( :-? LOL :D Here are some other pics:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Maybe it was caused by all the "gorilla glue". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, very nice job :thumb:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
OMG I never seen the connection! Very funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Love your BG R-DUB! Very cool! Will be working on mine more this weekend. Thanks for your comments and help on mine too! :fish: =D> :fish:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
No sweat. Love to help. Looking forward to seeing your progress. :popcorn:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Mine is coated with a waterproofing paint (latex) called---- Drylok.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I followed r-dubs background and use drylock also. It truely is the only way togo. One question I have though R-dub do you have pleco's in your tanks? Wondering how they react to the drylock. I know that they will eat an aquaterra background.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
No plecos in my tank. So I cant give a real life assessment on plecos and drylok. I would imagine a large pleco could rasp the drylok off. The drylok dries like a hard shell over the styro but is not indestructible. I heard somewhere that plecos have been known to even remove concrete from BG's!!! So I guess it would come out a draw in the "pleco proof "category. I still see drylok as a much better approach than concrete. I also have wondered about adding large amount of silica/fine sand to drylok before application. If that would be any less appealing to plecos??? HMMM.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have 5" or 6" placo's in mine and they don't seem to bother the dry lock..
I've had my BG in for about a year, Other then the algae it still looks like it did when put it in...

·
Registered
149 Posts
yes this BG looks real good. i might have to ask you to do something similar once i get my 180 gal tank as well.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.