Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a week since I filled my new tank with new AC 110. I put 2 fish in Tuesday to help cycle the tank. My PH=8.2 Ammonia=1.0ppm Nitrite=0ppm Nitrate=0ppm. I haven't done any water changes and have been feeding lightly once a day. Do I continue doing nothing?

·
Registered
116 Posts
yes, continue doing nothing, the bacteria will start to grow soon.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It appears that you are on your way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: PH=8.2 AMM=1.5 Nitrite=.25 Nitrate=0

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Ph=8.2 Amm=2.0 Nitrite=5.0ppm Nitrate=20ppm
Almost 2 weeks into the cycle in my 55 gallon tank with 2 fish in it.
The Nitrite and Nitrate shot up almost over night, am I ok?
Looks like the cycle is on its way????
Should I continue to do nothing?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Do water changes to keep the toxic levels down to 1ppm or less. Also look into adding something like Prime or Ammolock to detox the ammonia and nitrite. Don't worry about testing nitrate right now, what you're looking for is ammonia and nitrite to drop to 0. It might be 2-3 weeks or so yet.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Also, what size is the tank? The ammonia and nitrite levels can also be held down by feeding very sparingly. Your levels seem high for only two fish, but it may be a small tank.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
55 gallon

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So should I do a water change? Or will that set my cycle back? If so, how much water should I change? The fish seem to be doing fine. The water has gotten a little cloudy, was clear yesturday.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If your ammonia climbs, add anacharis. Scientific studies (copy on request) show that floating anacharis takes ammonia directly from the water column. Works good, grows fast, fish eat it! Ecology at work!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Better to let the normal bacteria form to eat it - now if for some reason you get an ammonia spike later, sure.. try it...

but the bacteria needs to be there unless you plan on always providing anacharis - and it aint that cheap and dies in warm water (which cichlids like). and dead plants dont help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, so maybe I should leave it be for a while longer?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
So should I do a water change? Or will that set my cycle back? If so, how much water should I change? The fish seem to be doing fine. The water has gotten a little cloudy, was clear yesturday.
Do the water changes to get the levels down to 1ppm or below. Do 30-40% changes, maybe once or twice per day. Those levels can be toxic.

The water change will NOT set the cycle back, that's a myth that floats around from time to time.

All plants take ammonia from the water column but not as quickly as you need it to right now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I just did a 10 gallon water change and added Prime to the new water. Will check readings in the am.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I just rechecked my readings. I did a 10 gallon water change last night. PH-8.2 Ammonia-1.0 ppm Nitrite-5.0 ppm Nitrate-80 ppm. Why the sudden spikes? Should I do another 20% water change now? Is there anything else I should do right now?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
dmpjr said:
OK, I just rechecked my readings. I did a 10 gallon water change last night. PH-8.2 Ammonia-1.0 ppm Nitrite-5.0 ppm Nitrate-80 ppm. Why the sudden spikes? Should I do another 20% water change now? Is there anything else I should do right now?
These spikes are the normal part of cycling the tank. It's part of the nitrogen cycle. Read the link in the earlier post on the nitrogen cycle.

Change out more than 10 gallons. I'd go for a 40-50% change. And make sure you're feeding very sparingly. There are still only 2 fish in the tank? You should be able to keep this in control, but it'll take a couple of weeks or more yet to cycle. First you'll start getting ammonia readings of 0, then a couple of weeks or so after that nitrite will read 0. Then the tank is cycled, meaning the bacteria colony has built up enough to handle the waste products of the fish.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, 2 fish and 3 small snails. I will change more water tonight. I am ok using tap water? I do add Prime to it. Thank you for all the help. I'm enjoying the learning experience.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Tap is fine. At least 50% water change. If you have 5ppm now and want to get to 1ppm, which you do, that's an 80% reduction, so technically, you should do 80%. Do 50% daily until you're at 1 ppm if you don't want to do 80%.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You're welcome and do like dielikemoviestars said, get in an aggressive water change mode. Once you get levels down, and cut back on feeding, you'll find it easier to keep up with. Ride it out and accept that it'll take a another couple of weeks or so. The Prime is good as it'll help detox the ammonia and nitrite.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts