Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So sad. Meanwhile my 30 cichlids, who some are starting to show the same symptoms, are waiting for the Clout to get here but it will not arrive until Friday. Meanwhile a friend told me to turn off the tank lights until it comes and do not feed them and keep their temp steady with no ups and downs. I will do a 50% water change tomorrow. I really would hate to lose my beautiful collections of Cichilds!

I have read the excellent article on bloating and immediately ordered the Clout.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I am having a horrible time keeping my ph up to 8 even....I have gone thru 2 bottles of PH (up) by API in a couple of weeks. And I have Cichlid substrate and holy rock galore in the 75 gallon tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,844 Posts
Sorry for your loss!

What is the pH of your tap water both immediately out of the tap and after a 24 hour off gassing wait?

I would avoid using any pH up or down product because they are costly. IF you really need to adjust pH, take a look in the C-F Library for the Buffer recipe using baking soda and Epsom salts.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deeda said:
Sorry for your loss!

What is the pH of your tap water both immediately out of the tap and after a 24 hour off gassing wait?

I would avoid using any pH up or down product because they are costly. IF you really need to adjust pH, take a look in the C-F Library for the Buffer recipe using baking soda and Epsom salts.
Deeda oh thank you! the ph of my water out of the spigot is 7.5. I do not know what the value is if left on its own after 24 hrs.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Let us know what it is after 24 hours.

·
Super Moderator
1,844 Posts
I don't see any reason to try and adjust your tap water at all, a pH of 7.5 is just fine unless you are keeping wild caught fish that need a higher pH. If that was the case, you can gradually ease them from a higher pH to your tap water over a couple weeks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Deeda said:
I don't see any reason to try and adjust your tap water at all, a pH of 7.5 is just fine unless you are keeping wild caught fish that need a higher pH. If that was the case, you can gradually ease them from a higher pH to your tap water over a couple weeks.
Really? Ok that would save me a lot of money!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right now an experienced friend has suggested I turn off the lights to encourage rest and also no feeding.

·
Super Moderator
1,844 Posts
Sorry I've never had to use any medications on my fish so can't provide personal experience. However, check out the Bloat article in the C-F library if you haven't already done so.

Usually I suggest using Epsom salt to get started at a dosage of 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons of water as this helps to purge intestines. I would not stop feeding as long as the fish are eating.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
The fish never need lights so you can do that.

If the fish are eating, none of them have bloat as yet.

You can use clout or Metroplex (because is has some metronidazole in it) but not both. If you can get the metroplex today that might help.

For a confirmed bloat diagnosis I prefer straight metronidazole but it will take you another 2 days and overnight delivery expense to get it.

Since this is preventive, maybe do the Epsom salts for now and the clout when it arrives?

Also with 30 fish in a 75G (it is a 75G right?) once you survive the current crisis, consider making some changes to stock.

·
Registered
641 Posts
naturlvr said:
The people who sold me my fish have suggested this: https://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_Lab ... gJiuvD_BwE

the Clout will not arrive here until Friday.
I didn't read your other posts on the topic; are you sure your fish have bloat?

About two weeks after I received my first order of haps/peacocks about six of them had bloat. The first one presented the end stage massive swelling and died, but I was able to treat the others while they were still at the stage of not eating/spitting out food. I called my supplier and he recommended Metroplex (Metronidazole) and Clout, both of which I had on hand. He warned me Clout was a stronger treatment and would be hard on my already weakened fish, therefore better to treat with Metro if possible.

I followed the instructions for the dosage/treatment on the package, no feeding during treatment and after treatment is completed wait a few days before feeding a little. I followed the instructions for the water changes, but did an extra 75% water change right before I started treatment, and another extra one at the end. My other fish survived and grown from 2 inches to 5-7 inches now and doing well.

Since my water is r/o my recipe includes 1 cup epsom salt per 20 gallons, so my tank water always has plenty of epsom salt.

HTH

·
Registered
641 Posts
PS. I treated with Metroplex. I planned on treating with Clout if the Metro didn't work, but there was no need.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DJRansome said:

You can use clout or Metroplex (because is has some metronidazole in it) but not both. If you can get the metroplex today that might help.

For a confirmed bloat diagnosis I prefer straight metronidazole but it will take you another 2 days and overnight delivery expense to get it.

Since this is preventive, maybe do the Epsom salts for now and the clout when it arrives?

Also with 30 fish in a 75G (it is a 75G right?) once you survive the current crisis, consider making some changes to stock.
You are correct in your assumptions. But all my fish are babies so still mostly small but I intend to transfer them to a larger tank when they get bigger. At least transfer 50% to a large tank when the time comes. It gives me time to adjust and them too. I will check the metro.....as far as confirmed diagnosis..I did not take the baby to a vet so I cannot confirm. About 2 weeks after he arrived he went from having a voracious appetite to no eating and white poop so I thought that is what killed him. then I read that all exposed fish have to be treated. I am feeling a bit confused that all my assumptions about water quality and needing a ph of at least 8 and temp of 82 to 85 were wrong. I hear conflicting info and it scares me because I do not want my fish to die because I did not heed their symptoms. Most all my fish now are pale and some not eating. Of course now I am not feeding them. What to do?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DJRansome said:

So since some are not eating should I treat all? And can I still feed them all?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
More fish are killed from wrong meds than no meds.

Are you sure the tropheus died of bloat? Did he have clear or white feces...thin and thready? You said white poop, so we can go with that.

Treat them all.

Choose one source of advice and go with it...you are not likely to get the same advice from everyone.

How big are your fish (including tail)? Unless then are one inch or less they are not babies. It is unusual for fry to get bloat.

For today (assume you feed 1X daily) do the Epsom salts and feed. Carefully note each fish that eats and each fish that does not.

Fry are pretty much all pale always. Adults that have color and then lose it can be illness or dominance.

Does that help?

Your nitrates are < 20ppm and everything else is zero?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts