Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
First of all, nice to be here! :fish:
I have been keeping Cihclids for almost 20 years, had many tanks in the past, Malawi and Tanganyika but had to give a break when I moved to another Country(Brazil). Now I just started all again and decided to go for a Malawi Mbuna mixed tank.

Video of my tank:

The fish are all juvies, 2" the biggest..and they are doing "fine" for now. Removed the P. Tropheops cause it killed a Saulosi and was being really nasty like I never seen equal.
Anyway, I would like to add another specie to the tank, since I will want more blue color in it. So I would like to hear ideas. I neever kept mixed Cichlids tanks before, ALWAYS species specific, so believe or not, it's still kind of new to me. The fish bio load right now is at 20 fish, and I would like to introduce maybe 6-8 more of another specie. A group of 6 C. Afra white top comes to mind, and it's easy to find it here(we have WAY less varieties here)but I'm worried about the Saulosi?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance! :)

C.

·
Registered
843 Posts
cap70 said:
Stock list as of now:

4x Saulosi
4x Lombardoi
4x Trewasavae Red Top
1x Red Zebra
3x Yellow Labs
2x Acei's (that I forgot to mention in the video!)

Another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6st6AI9F ... re=related
I see that it's a 100g, but it's still 4" long, which is restrictive (Mbuna need length to set up territories). Unfortunately, I do see some problems (won't happen now but a year down the line).

I would get more Kenyi, M. lombardoi. They're fairly aggressive. I'd aim for 1 male, 6-7 females.
I would also get the ratio for labs and Acei to at least 1m, 2-3 females. They're more peaceful so the males don't need as many girlfriends...A trio of labs would work, just make sure you don't have two males. And a male Acei will still need at least 2 females (or he'll chase the one girl to death).

Also, Saulosi and Kenyi are both blue-barred. I might reconsider these, but then, the male Kenyi will be yellow (females blue) so maybe they won't fight too much? I'd see what others say about that.

You have two Metriaclima species--the males will not tolerate each other very well, but in that size tank it won't be as bad. Hopefully, they'll just leave each other alone, haha.

You might just remove the red zebra since you only have one. It'll hybridize with your yellow labs; if it's male it'll fight with the Kenyi male...And I think you have one species too many anyway. In a 4 ft tank, people say 3 species, but b/c it's a good deal wider, you could reasonably do 5 species, except that you have some pretty aggressive Mbuna (Kenyi, Red top, and sometimes, the red zebra), which means I would suggest 4 species total.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i dont think the Saulosi and Kenyi wouldn't do so well mixed....remember that the saulosi is quite small (4" max) thats why its kind of grouped with the dwarf psuedo's. the kenyi get to be around 5-6". plus kenyi can be really nasty if they are not kept under control.

i would probabjy go with blue labs(same as yellow labs just diff. colour). :fish:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks people for the replys! :)

Toume, greta input! I only disagree about the Acei's. I had a pair of them that lived with me for many years and bred many times. Maybe is not the "norm", but worked for me.
I never had Lombardois before, never liked them. But was a gift and at the time I didn't have much in my tank. I may get them out. I want to keep the Saulosi's, and the Trewasavae's Red Tops. Would that work long term? Of course, if doesn't work I will change things. These fish are still small, and nothings definitive yet, everything can change if they don't get along. I may even update the tank in the future. Here we don't get big fishes or WC fishes in the stores, to have anything big you have to grow yourself, so "basicaly", my tank is a grow out tank

I have kept single species tanks of many other Mbuna when I lived in the US, but like I said I never mixed them. I wanted to go for a all Saulosi tank, but my 7 year old son asked for more variety and there you have it! lol

So, changing the question a bit....What species that are right now in my tank would do well with the Saulosi's "long term"?

cichlidcrazy, thanks! Unfortunately we don't have blue labs around here, not that I'm aware of. :(

·
Registered
843 Posts
Good to know about the Acei, cap70. I try to only give you the safest advice of what I've experienced and what the majority of people have experienced. Of course there are always exceptions :D I like playing with sets of Mbuna in smaller sized tanks and see how it goes. <- Most often it gets brutal :roll:

OK, You'll also want to up the count of Labeos too (the Red tops). 1m, 6-7f since they're aggressive. I forgot about that before.

I would remove at least one blue species--Kenyi will be most likely since you don't like them :thumb: but you will still have the Labeos, Acei (though these can be more black than blue), and Saulosi (though, like I said, most of the Saulosi will be yellow). The Labeos will be hard on the other blues (and get fairly large)--just keep that in mind.

If you're OK with cross-breeding (between labs/red zebras), I'd do:

Saulosi (1m, 4-5f)
Red zebra (1m, 5f) <- you can keep a solo one too, but if it's male, he'll need females, and he'll take the yellow lab females if he doesn't have his own (though he could do that either way)
Yellow labs (1m, 2-5f)
Labeo Tre. Red tops (1m, 6-7f)
and maybe Acei (1m, 2-3f)(they get pretty big, but they're peaceful--I just worry about having 3 blue species, but you could try it. Worst case, you have to remove them)

Even if you do the high numbers, I think that's reasonable. If you really like the Labeos, keep them, but they're probably going to cause all the trouble (Kenyi would too though). Without Kenyi and the Labeos would be the easiest long term, but that'd be boring! They should be good for a year regardless, until they hit 2-3".

I think it's good you're going for variety :thumb:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THanks buddy, it's always good to hear other people experiences!

The Trewasavae's, I had them before many times.. I had them in pairs, trios, groups of 8 etc etc.. so I will keep them in the trio based on my experience and see where it goes. I had pairs that did well in the past, so I'm gonna wait and see, it may work.

Regarding the Red Top Zebra..I may get him out, don't want to put more of this species and I know this fish can get really mean. He already claimed the tank after the Tropheops were gone.

I wanted to up the Sauloiss to 15 and take the Yellow labs out, but Sauloisi's are VERY difficult to get around my area. When they appear, they are gone really fast!

I still want to get some C. Afras white top and put it there. I already seen MATURE tanks with both Saulosi and Afra's white top, and they looked good. Saulosi blue color is different, even though they have bars, so maybe that's why it works.

So the tank would end like this..for NOW...with these 4 different species:

4 Saulosi(1-3, more in the future as they become available)
8 C. Afra white top(2-6)
L. Trewasavae(1-3)
Acei(1-1)

How about that?

How about some Mainganos. Blue Auratus, Chipokae etc..in the place of the C. Afra?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked with my dealer, and he have some nice fish in stock this week, so I'm going to do this:

-4 Saulosis(will get more down the road)
-8 C. Afra White Top
-8 Mainganos
-8 Yellow labs(will add 5 more to the 3 I already have)
-2 Acei's
-4 Trewsavae's(can add 2 more females, too, total of 6)

I heard people keeping these fishes with success together(here in this same forum), so I may try that. What you guys think? I have to say, I'm pretty set on that stocking, the only thing I could change is not getting the Afra's.
Will be 6 species in the tank, may be a bit too much, but it may work and I will probably upgrade to a 6 footer in the future.

I need an answer today, cause the guy goes tomorrow to his fish place to get them for me.

REMEMBER, I can always change things down the road if doesn't work!lol

TIA!

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Not a bad mix but I would wait for the 72" tank and agree with toume on pairs and trios. I've even had problems with quads on occasion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank DJ!

Well, I talked with my dealer and he got some nice Afra's and Mainganos juvies.

Final stocking will be this. Of course, I may have to buy the same species more than once to get the females and males at the ratio I want. That's what I'm aiming for:

6 Saulosi - 2/4 (right now 1/3)
6 C. Afra white top - 1/5 or 2/4
6 Yellow labs - 1-5 or 2/4
6 Trewasavae - 1-5 (right now 1/3)
6 Mainganos - 1-5 or 2/4
4 Acei(ok ok ,will add more now, it's on sale with my dealer for 2 bucks each, can't resist! :p)
1 Red Zebra

Sure, all fish are still juvies and as they mature, changes are going to be made if needed. The Red Zebra is there cause my son likes him. First sign of trouble he will be going to a Goldfish bowl in my kid's room! lol

Tell me what you think about this stock.

thanks again!

C.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts