·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently set up a 55 gallon tank. It has:
4 juli transcriptus
4 brevis (M'toto)

But unfortunately, the brevis do not seem to do much with their shells. They mostly just hang out in a group in the center of the tank. That might be because the julis sometimes go in the shells--maybe they've taken them over...

my rock piles (2 of them) are pretty small, so maybe I need to expand them...

Anyway, I'm looking for more ideas about finding colorful companions, perferably fish that are relatively common.

so if you have ideas on fish that I could add, let me know...or ideas about my aquascaping...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's true, but I'm not really seeing any interesting behavior from the shellies....they don't seem to hang out in their shells much...

the julies don't do much either....maybe that's because my rock piles are too small...I'll try to add a picture in the "my tanks" section

·
Registered
84 Posts
You could add some Cyprichromis leptosoma. A group of 12 of those would add some action to your tank! They are colorful too!

Also, if you are adding more rocks, a pair or a trio (1 male and 2 females) of calvus would be interesting.

Perhaps once the julies move away from the shells the brevis will take up residence. What sort of substrate do you have? Although I've never kept brevis, the shellies I have kept love to dig in the sand around their shells....thats always fun to watch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had the fish about 6 weeks...

The substrate is caribsea crushed coral sand, 1.5mm I think...the fish seem to be on the smallish size, maybe an inch to an inch and a quarter...

The brevis have dug in the gravel a bit...when I just went turned the light off in my fish area, the brevis quickly went to the bottom of the tank and went near a few shells/rocks, but once the lights were back on, they went immediately back to the top of the water....if I didn't know better, I would almost think they are a schooling fish...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i think they are a little too small to judge them yet.
alot of my occie fry dont use shells(they range from 3/4 - 1 1/4)
adding some cyps would be a good idea. they move around alot more then brevis and their nice looking IMO. and if the fish are only about an inch, i think the tank would be a bit boring.
8 inch and a half fish in a 55G seems a bit roomy(for now) sooner or later, they will fill the tank up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts