Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what you pray never happens, happened. Last night, while me and husbund watching tv, we heard a big 'crack' than watched as the whole front blew out of the 55g. It seemed like slow motion. I am devastated. And still in shock. The fish all survived. They are in a 10g tank. I am through. My husband has always warned me that this could happen. But I did everything by the books. 2 years of raising these fish from babies, 2 years of religiosly carried out weekly water changes, the best equiptment and food and now it is over. I am just sick. Have to find homes for my beautiful fish.

I have enjoyed this forum for 2 years and couldn't have ever done it without all of you. I will miss it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This happened to me as well about three years ago. My 125 cracked while i was at work, i come home to a soggy living and dead fish. :(

But why give up? if you have all your equipment, just grab a new tank, shouldn't take that long to set up again, and i promise if you start to set it up, you wont want to stop. :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 10g break on me. It was totally my fault though. I was trying to set it up under my 55g in the cabinet, and I accidentally set it on the magnet door hold thing.. it cracked right through the bottom glass.

10 gallons was a nightmare on carpet.. I couldn't imagine 55g+ :eek:

·
Registered
688 Posts
You have my sympathy. That's a real heartbreaker. A tank breaking is always in the back of my mind. Not that it really matters, but what brand of tank was it? I would bet that you will still want to have fish despite what happened. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this bad news. :(
It would be heartbreaking to have to rehome your fish you cared for so well.

I'll bet right now you must be dissapointed, disgusted, depressed, and discouraged.
Hopefully you won't give up on aquariums forever.

If and when you want to start over, you'll have the knowledge base, good parts and supplies to do so.
You also have friends here who would be happy to support you in your decisions
for a new setup.

Give it some time, let the shock and sadness pass.
We're here for you should you choose to get into cichlids and/or aquariums in the future.
Best wishes,
Alicem

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Eb0la11 said:
Wow, Id lose my mind if my 120 Gallon poored out all over my floor... My dad would probably kill me if it somehow short circuited the treadmill in the same room across the way...
My big tank is not too far from our $1800 SportsArt recumbant. I'd be way more upset about my fishies and tank than that stupid expensive dust collector! :lol:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm afraid "ophelia" has signed off, hopefully not for good.

Maybe after a period of mourning (and after the cursing has quieted) the OP will return to
read the condolences and answer some questions to help the rest of us avoid such a tragedy.

No blame will be placed on "ophelia", but something went wrong and now we are all wondering about our own tanks.

I know I'm not telling my Mr this story, yet. He got way too nervous when my old 30 gal. started leaking. :roll:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I hate hearing about things like this. It makes you doubt every tank you've set up. Just a rock, even a large rock, on it's own would have a hard time breaking the glass. Maybe the tank wasn't sitting perfectly flush and put a binding pressure on the glass that finally gave way when the rock hit it.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts