Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im goin to be setting up a 75gallon peacock/hap tank, tank yet too come but this is the path i wanna go if it will work. you guys tell me!!!!!! this will be all male

peacocks

aulonocara maulana = bi-color 500 adding 2

aulonocara masoni= mason's peacock adding 2

aulonocara stuartgranti= flametail peacock adding 3

hap's

tramitichromis sp. "red flush" = red flush adding 2

lethrinops sp. "mbasi creek" anyone kno a common name too this? adding 3

placidochromis sp. "electra blackfin"= electra bright blackfin adding 2

do u think this will work for me is it to many fish or not enuf ??? do u think i have a good blance??

plz post thank u

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Is there are particular reason why you're adding two of each? I wouldn't recommend it.
The rule of thumb is "no two peacocks should look alike in coloration." You will have heightened aggression and the dominant male will single out the other male of the same sp. Consequently, the sub-dominant male will not color up to the extent of the dominant male. So your tank will end up with aggressive males and only have of them will color up to their full potential.

If you're going for an all male tank, I highly suggest trading out the pairs for singles. You'll also have a greater variation of color, fully colored males and minimal aggression.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
DanniGirl said:
Is there are particular reason why you're adding two of each? I wouldn't recommend it.
The rule of thumb is "no two peacocks should look alike in coloration." You will have heightened aggression and the dominant male will single out the other male of the same sp. Consequently, the sub-dominant male will not color up to the extent of the dominant male. So your tank will end up with aggressive males and only have of them will color up to their full potential.

If you're going for an all male tank, I highly suggest trading out the pairs for singles. You'll also have a greater variation of color, fully colored males and minimal aggression.
My thoughts exactly. :thumb:

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have an all-male peacock & hap tank & so far so good. it has been running for about 3 months. i know that isn't very much time but things have been fine. the first batch had the sulphurhead in it & he was a bully. once i added the eureka red, things calmed down. i added 4 yellow labs last weekend & have had no issues. good luck.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
EDIT- LOL! (Auto-type.... :roll: )

DanniGirl said:
The rule of thumb is "no two peacocks should look alike in coloration." You will have heightened aggression and the dominant male will single out the other male of the same sp. Consequently, the sub-dominant male will not color up to the extent of the dominant male. So your tank will end up with aggressive males and only (meant to say ---->) HALF of them will color up to their full potential.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does the same go for what a pick for my hap single theme instead or am i ok there?? and for my peacocks only singles and diff sp???? how many should i put in my tank total?? thank u guys you are helping me out big, plzz keep posting

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I would not recommend it with haps, especially with the Placidochromis sp. Again, if you go that route, you're going to wind up with only a few colorful males. -There are a bunch of haps out there and you'll have more color variations to chose from, especially blue.
Otopharynx lithobates, Copadichromis trewavasae, Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" <----- Just to name a few that could work.

For peacocks, it's best to do only singles of different variations of a species.
Example: Aulonocara stuartgranti "Ngara Flametail" and Aulonocara stuartgranti "Usisya"

If you follow that rule of thumb while setting up an all male peacock/hap tank, it will make things a lot easier.

Your stock list of 14 is fine. -Keep in mind though you may have to trade in some fish that "don't play nice" with others. It's all trial and error but it's worth it; eventually you'll have a successful, colorful tank.
:thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.