Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought him about a week ago when i bought him he was marked Large Cichlid i did some searching and he looks like a Pseudotropheus cabua blue. the first day i brought him home he was excited and ate great a few days went by now he just goes from one hiding place to another and stays really calm. i tried flakes pellets and krill and nothing he won't eat..he is a beautiful fish he doesn't look sick i have him in a 55 galon tank along with 1 adult green sevrum 1 juvi blood parrot and 2 baby jack dempseys..he is over 6 inch in length so im sure he is an adult my ph is a bit over 7 and its about 78 degrees in tank also my tank is a newly setup please can someone help

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Culture shock? Its a pretty wierd mix. :eek:
He would be happy in pH 7.5 + with other Mbuna. And pref a 75g or bigger. Prob is your other cichlids SA esp will not like a pH 7.5+ though might like a bigger tank too. :thumb:
Why would you want to mix these fish?
Dunno the name Pseudotropheus cabua blue does not ring any bells.
Typo?
You thinking of Pseudotropheus crabro? In which case this just gets more painfull to read.

All the best James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well unfortuantly my crappy pet store in my town failed togive me adeaquete info on these species hesaid cichlids are good together doesnt matter on thekind so knowing what i have in my tank what should i take out? i cant get a bigger tank than 55 g but i have a 20 stashed away should a split them up? and what should i fill my 55 with if i have these fish???

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I think you need to stop buying and start reading.
Lots of good ideas for your 55g on the cookie cutters. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... er_55g.php Be careful even there you need to match your water to the cookey cutters fish or select one that matches your water.
Who knows they might even include some of your cichlids but not all.
I think you are going to need to part with some stock and re think the way you buy cichlids.
Plan first buy later. Never listen to the LFS guys. Yep one or two give good advice but the vast majority just speak from their own experience. And that's being kind that advice you got is scandalous. Like a zoo keeper saying you can keep any mammal with any mammal.

All the best James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea well after reading it looks like the dempseys have to go they require a huge tank and does not play well with others..any ideas were i can adopt out a couple of baby dempseys. since they are the smallest in the tank they have not been aggresive to the other fish thanks for the help james i would love to keep my african cichlid and get some fish from the same region.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.