Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lwanda pair that I just got recently and the male must really like the tank because he colored right up as soon as i put him in there. Now he's making his little dance for his female and it's like she's ignoring him. Now hes going crazy putting everyone in the top corner of the tank still trying the occasional time to dance but when she doesn't want to he sends her off in the corner too. I don;t have anymore spare tanks and I;m not sure what to do. Is this going to stop? can i added slightly more aggressive fish to put him and his place once in awhile. Like maybe a yellow lab. I have no ideal and i don;t want everyone to die.

·
Registered
497 Posts
What else is in the tank and what size is it and the other fish. Also I never heard of a Yellow Lab putting anything in its place. I am sure it has happened as anything is possible. Also for what its worth the Lwanda is one of the more aggressive peacocks from what I am told. I too just got some so I don't speak from experience as mine are quite small yet. More females will likely help more than anything.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
A YL would likely be more aggressive than a peacock, so I can see how the logic works there, but then your YL will be the terror and your tank will still be a stresscase.

What's the full stocking list and size (dimensions, not just gallons) of this tank? You say your lwanda has "his female"... only 1? That's your first problem...

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
If you add more aggressive fish, he will lose his color. The putting him in his place doesn't really work all the time anyway, since the next alpha fish might be a jerk also. If you want the Lwanda to be colorful, he needs to be one of the dominant males.

This is all normal, pretty much almost all Malawi cichlids can act in such a way. You need either/and/or a bigger tank or more fish in the tank. It makes it much easier to have multiple females, that way he will not hassle the female. The males wants to breed every day... the female can only breed when she has grown some eggs to the point she is ready to drop them out. So he hassles her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank is a 75 gallon 4 foot long so I think it's 18 wide 21 ish inches hight. I have that lwanda male and a female I have a flavecent and again a female and a pleco I just added the 5 to a new setup a couple days ago and the lwanda is getting worse with every passing day I did year other fish would help but don't I have to wait a week for he water to cycle I mean the ammonia is at .25 ppm so it's pretty good but I'm not sure if I can risk it as for more female I would gladly buy another female or two for the lwanda but they seem to be hard to find around where I live.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Peacocks will crossbreed so if you want to (a) raise fry, or (b) ever sell the adults you would be better off not mixing them in one tank.

That said, if that is not a concern, adding sufficient females for each fish will solve your aggression problem.

However if you already have a cycling problem (ammonia should be zero) then you are better to remove the aggressive male and hold him in a hospital tank until the show tank is cycled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts