Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Oscar that is prob about 8 inches. Ever since it was big enough I have given him feeder fish once in awhile for a treat. I also would feed him frozen food like bloodworms, beefheart, brine shrimp, ect. As well as his regular everyday diet being hikari pellets. A few months ago he started acting weird and wouldn't eat anything. I did some water changes and put little salt in tank an after couple days he was basically back to normal and started eating the pellets again, which is only thing I fed him for little while after her got better. But now he won't eat the frozen food cubes or live fish. He eats as many pellets as I will throw in there he eats meal worms, crickets, even like a piece of chicken from my dinner or something like that. But no goldfish. It's strange I throw one in there he will stalk it around the tank but won't eat it. I've had one little goldfish in my tank for almost a week now. Eventually he will get sick of him and I'll find it chomped up in tank but not eaten. Any ideas why he won't eat them anymore or what I can do to make him start again? I barely fed him fish but it was fun to once in awhile and now he won't eat any at all. It's almost unbelievable to have this 8 inch fish living In same tank as a little half inch goldfish. And he won't eat the frozen cubes either but will eat anything else I throw In there.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi mastocking918,

I do not have an answer to your question; however, I found your story interesting as it sounds like he may of gotten an internal parasite from the live food, mentally determined it was from the live food, and now refuses to eat what he knows may hurt him.

This is of course just an observation, I have no way of knowing if he actually got sick from the feeders, has the mental capacity to acknowledge what caused his illness, and ultimately make a life decision to "eat right".

Just found it a funny/interesting little synopsis I created in my head.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
697 Posts
My oscar looses his appetite every once in awhile. I have never been able to figure it out, but he always returns to normal. Maybe its a natural way of using stored fats.

·
Registered
697 Posts
My Oscar is around 6. I feed him once a day and fast on sunday. He goes on longer fast when I leave town often in the summer and fall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts