Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My husband has just got me Sushi my first oscar for an early valentine pressie. (husbands choice of name btw :D ). Hes about 1 1/2 inches, and is in a 10 gal quarantine tank.

I know this isnt ideal but I wasnt planning on getting an oscar till next week when my 71 gal tank will be ready for fish, its been empty for two weeks after I lost all the fish in it to a severe dose of Ich - 2 four yr old Uarus :( , a raphael catfish, a plec and a 4in severum. (The severum had just been moved to the tank after causing havoc in my other 71 gal tank of severums!)

At the LFS he was in a small tank with 4 other oscars (2 reds and 2 albinos), all about an inch bigger than him. He was lying on his side, his colours subdued, torn fins and when he did swim it was kind of 'flakily'. When I asked about them, the guy walked over to the tank and Sushi picked himself up and started madly swimming about (so I knew he was ok). I knew if I left him, there would be a good chance he would be in a worse state when my tank was ready so....

Hes dashing around like crazy at the moment :fish: I cant wait till hes in his own big tank

Joolz

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Nice little rescue. You're 71 should be good for fish if you were able to get the temp up to atleast 85* F for a few days. Ich cannot live in water above 81* and having the SA cichlids you had they could easily (and as a matter of fact thrive) handle 85* or even warmer. I keep my current SA cichlids (including uaru and severums) at 83*. Severums will spawn from 83*-89*...

Good luck with him and sorry for the losses... :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The aquarium that had Ich in it has had no fish in it for 2 weeks now, the temperature was 80. Over the last 3 days its been running at 92 F. How long do you think it will be before its safe to put Sushi in it? Id rather be safe than sorry. This is the first time *** had such a severe outbreak of Ich and *** been keeping tropical fish for over 20 years.

I have 2 Severums in my one of my other tanks, a gold Bob who is 9 yrs old and one of his offspring a green who is 4 yrs (she has a deformed mouth/head so I kept her). I had to get rid of Bobs mate (a green) a while ago after she became aggressive towards all my other fish. She wanted to spawn but Bobs just not interested (think its his age :D )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts