Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have an experience with their Oscar attacking the thermometer or the heater in a tank? It seems like if he thinks its not supposed to be there, he will go ape bananas on it and tries to eat it... or at least bite it in half. I've read that they like to rearrange their tanks to how they see fit so maybe he is just trying to do that. I'm kinda worried about him fighting with the heater tho, since I've had bad experiences with heater malfunctions before.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so I just read an old post that has thefishguy talking about not having a heater...
i like that prospect
(hint hint if your reading this thefishguy) :lol:
how big/old do they need to be before you would remove it from the tank?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cooked fish are never a pleasant thing to see.... at least in the fish tank that is.
My fiances peacocks were killed when it stuck while i was at work, i'm just glad she didnt have to clean it up.

Thanks for the idea about the pvc pipe, i'll give it a try

·
Registered
279 Posts
The fact that my oscar used to like to destroy heaters, it's the whole reason I did my DIY sump. All I had in the tank was the overflow and a diy PVC spraybar.

Another option would be to go with a titanium heater like the ones Azoo makes. The only thing in the tank is a titanium element and an independent probe, all the moving parts and fragile bits are outside of the tank on the cord.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My Oscar does the same thing, he also takes bites out of my output nozzle too. I have a Marineland Stealth 300W It's Oscar proof and fish cannot burn themselves. Typical Oscar behavior

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think i decided to do an inline when i switch him over to the other tank
Just need to let it finish cycling

1 - 11 of 11 Posts