Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I figured it would chime in on "my" cycling tank. So far i think my tank is doing ok but i figured i would post and maybe get some feedback. I will go ahead and apologize for the long post, but i figured more details the better.

I have a 120g (48x24x24) future mbuna tank that is in the process of cycling right now. I have a 30g sump underneath the main.

Tank has been cycling for 1 week now. I used dr. tim's one and only and some ammonia to start the process. Hope u guys don't mind but i wanted to run down each day of my cycling process.

Day 1--Using the ammonia supplied with dr tims one and only, i added one drop per gallon to achieve the 2 ppm lvl of ammonia, then added one and only. I measured amm about 1 hr later and got a reading of 2ppm.

Day 2--ph 8.2 amm-hard to tell but between 2 and 4 ppm nitite-.25ppm temp 73

Day 3--ph 8.2 amm-same as last nitite--.25ppm temp 73

Day 4--ph 8.2 amm-same nitite-.50ppm temp--74

Day 5--ph 8.2 amm--same as before 2ppm nitrite--2ppm temp 74

Day 6--ph 8.2 amm still same nitrite--between 2 and 5 ppm nitrate(1st time testing)--5ppm temp--74 finally added a heater to tank this day

Day 7-- ph.8.2 amm--still suck at 2.0 nitrite--5ppm nitrate--20ppm temp--76

Day 8 (same day as this post)--ph 8.2 amm 1.0 finally started to drop nitrite--5ppm nitrate--40ppm temp-78

Well thats where my tank is right now. The amm sticking at 2ppm for days is confusing cause on things i have read about fishless cycling, the routine is to add some more ammonia every few days to main around 2ppm. I have only added ammonia on the initial starting process. When should i add more if any? Also i have read that when nitrites get around the 5ppm lvl that there should be a small water change. I do know that my temp was low but that has been fixed with the heater. I guess i am looking for some reassurance that my tank is cycling right and maybe some advice on what to do next.

Thanks all and appreciate any input

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You're cycling alright. Add ammonia daily to keep it between 1-2 ppm now. When your ammonia/nitrite levels are both 0 after 24 hours of adding ammonia (again, to 1-2ppm), you're cycled. Do a big water change to get rid of the nitrate and add your fish!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm in the middle of a fishless cycle on the same setup. 120 Gl. tank and large sump. I've been at it now for about 3 weeks. I just used ammonia (I don't have another tank to help seed)and have kept it between 1 ppm and 5 ppm. From what I understand you should be keeping your water temp between 80-85 deg. F to help bacteria growth.
What my tank is doing...

First three days 5ppm amm. no nitrite

Over night on 4th day 2ppm amm. and high amount of nitrite
that same night my amm. went to .25 ppm

Now every day I have to add a splash of ammonia and I'm still waiting for that "magical morning" when nitrites test 0ppm. It feels like it will never come. My tank got cloudy the other day but I heard that's normal towards the end of a cycle and goes away on it's own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.