Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know I'm pretty novice when it comes to taking photos, and video, but I used my digital pic camera to take the vids. I may be looking to get a nice video camera in the near future though. I hope you enjoy. The 2nd video is one of my bigger Maingano thatr I just received yesterday, and I'm thinking its a male. Looks like he's establishing his territory because he chases away mostly every other fish to come near his cave. LOL

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very nice! IME it looks like a male. My guess comes from his coloration compared to the others, but more importantly his pelvic fins extend past where his anal fin begins.

All this maingano talk the last few days had me adding two new ones to my tank today! Would post pics as well but my light has decided to poop out and my 40w backup light doesnt do enough justice!

The intensive digging is why they are my favorite Mbuna, they will work for hours at a time. To keep aggression down, destroy their holes when you vacuum your sand. It gives them something else to do besides chase each other.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joel! Glad you like. I was thinking of adding more Maingano in the next few weeks, to end up with 2 male and 12 female. It looks like I may have another male in the tank who is about the same size and dark with the longer pelvic fins. He's hanging out in the cave on the other end of the tank. It's funny, he dosent chase yellow labs, just the mainganos.

The hardest part is feeding time. They all race to the top of the tank, but the little labs hardly get any. So I been adding food at one end for the mainganos, and the left end for the labs, but they arent catching on yet.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Have you tried feeding rings? They are little like $2 floating rings you suction cup to the inside glass. I've noticed with mine that bottle necking the feeding to a 2" hole the surface tension gets disturbed so much about half the food sinks. My fish range from 1-3" and the bigger, more aggressive ones eat the half that floats and the little ones swarm the sinking stuff.

And yeah I know what you mean, the mainganos can be relentless with each other but mine never even touch my labs or rusties.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm no. I never knew of any feeding rings. I will have to look into it. Someone also suggested in adding the NLS pellets to tank water, crush them a bit, and add to a syringe. Then feed the little guys who arent coming to the top.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Since you haven't heard of the ring and it was their feeding time, I took a picture and quick video of it in action. It is much more convenient than the syringe since it requires no preparation!

Here's the picture:

Note my big zebra tank boss, two of the mainganos, and I think my alpha lab at the top with all of the "littl'ens" at the bottom.

And the video:
The rusties were slow to eat, they are much more shy than labs, but you can see how they've taken to the ring.

Hope this information helps you with your tank!

Ps: I know my lighting sucks so bad right now. I hate it but it's all I have right now until I figure out what's wrong with my CP fixture!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will definitely have to get one of those. It looks easier. Oh and dont worry about the lighting. I dont really notice stuff like that. Im still new to fish keeping. I couldnt even tell you what kind of bulbs I have....the imprint on the bulbs are worn away, so I cant read them. LOL They guy I bought the tank off of, didnt even know. But I did notice the Tequila Suicide. I thought I was nuts! =D>

·
Registered
625 Posts
Oh haha *that*... That's a good friend of mine, he did that on my birthday last December. He's the kind of guy that does things, regardless of his safety, for a good laugh. I'm not a stranger to doing stupid things, but he is on a whole other level!

I would suggest once you look into upgrading equipment, to look at lights. I've had that light for about 10 years and I've replaced the bulbs once and this problem with the ballast (I really don't know) is the first major problem. High watt dual daylights with some actinic really bring out color. I love the way the maingano look with my good light.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just for comparison about lights, here's the 40w back up:

And here's the good 130w light:

The 130 is a very crisp, cool color which is great for blues and yellows, and I just think the 40w is just muddied, under powered, and a little too warm.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of all the reading and research I've done on here the past month or so....lighting wasnt one of them. I hear of T5 and whatnot, but not sure which direction to go. I hate asking a million questions, so I usually read up on it before I do. I did think of getting lighting fixtures that were dual, but still dont know the differences yet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JoelRHale said:
Just for comparison about lights, here's the 40w back up:

And here's the good 130w light:

The 130 is a very crisp, cool color which is great for blues and yellows, and I just think the 40w is just muddied, under powered, and a little too warm.
Wow! Your tank looks sick! The bottom pic does look better.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thank you very much, I'm pretty keen on what you have too.

I'm no expert on tank lighting but the bottom picture is a 130w compact fluorescent light with dual 420nm actinic/10,000k daylight bulbs. It also has two moon lights. This tank was once a saltwater reef and that was the light I used to grow coral. Coralife and Current-USA both make good quality lights. If you see someone on craigslist selling a saltwater set up it would be wise to ask if they will part out the light for cheap. The blue hue of the actinic make the maingano practically iridescent.

Once I get this light fixed and trade out some of the rusties and end up with 10 of each: rusty, maingano, and lab in the proper ratios I'll finally get around to making my own tank thread!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the advice. I will be looking into bulbs before any new fixtures, but eventually things will change up. I will be getting a canister filter soon, so my money is limited until I get to that point. Thanks again!! :thumb:

·
Registered
625 Posts
No problem, man, anytime. This forum always helps me so I like to give back when I can!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts