Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is my new mbuna tank pictures! It is a 75 gallon! The fish are coming in on tuesday!

* 6 White Top Hara
* 8 Electric Yellow
* 8 Maingano
* 8 White Tail Acei

I will be adding pictures of the fish when they come in :fish: !

Tell me what you think of my tank setup!
THANK YOU!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I like it! Nice rock work. :thumb:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think you might get a more visually interesting rock pile if you work in a slope, or maybe split the pile so it dips down just off-centre.

That said, very pretty nonetheless. Your fish are going to love it :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone so far!
The substrate is Pool Filter Sand!
I had bought 2 50 LBS bags for $30! I found , maybe in the library on this site, a calculation thing that had you put in how many inches of substrate you wanted in your tank. You also had to put in the Length and Width of your tank! The calculation thing told me 75 LBS of sand to get 2 inches! Kinda looks a little more than that HUH! LOL! Oh well when I do my weekly WC I'm sure I'll end up taking some of it out that way LOL!

Again thanks! I will be adding the picture of my fish when they arrive!

·
Registered
211 Posts
WOW! awesome rock work! love the sand!

what type of powerheads are those? how much? It looks like they are at the same level I would place one higher and one lower so they are not fighting eachother for current

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The powerheads are maxi-jet pro 600's. In circulation pump mode the do 750 gph.
If I put the heads to low they blow my sand around. If I put the to high they will create a tunnel of air and then they make a lot of notice.
So as of right now I just have one closer to the back of the tank then the other one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
masonv said:
The powerheads are maxi-jet pro 600's. In circulation pump mode the do 750 gph.
If I put the heads to low they blow my sand around. If I put the to high they will create a tunnel of air and then they make a lot of notice.
So as of right now I just have one closer to the back of the tank then the other one.
Ok ok I see I agree with the placement than. Wow they are only like 15-20$ are they good? I might get one for that price

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like them. They seem to push a lot of water. When you buy them you can set it up as a powerhead or as a circulation pump. So that is pretty cool as well .

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The fish will be in at around 4 o'clock today. So I will have to post when they get here, and when they are in the tank of course. :lol:
Just thinking of how much work it's going to be to acclimate 30 fish in 30 bags!!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes they are being shipped!

I have read and told by the LFS's the following: You should set the bags in the tank to acclimate the temperature. After that you should add 1 cup of tank water to bag every 4 minutes until bag is full. Then you should pour half the bag of water out ( not into tank), and repeat the process over again.

Is this not what everyone else does.

·
Registered
133 Posts
masonv said:

I have read and told by the LFS's the following: You should set the bags in the tank to acclimate the temperature. After that you should add 1 cup of tank water to bag every 4 minutes until bag is full. Then you should pour half the bag of water out ( not into tank), and repeat the process over again.

Don't add tank water to shipped fish. IIRC, the shift in pH from the tank water can dramatically increase the toxicity of the ammonia built up in the bag from the day or two they spend in there.

I might not have the details 100% right, but I know it's a bad idea to add tank water to mail order fish bags.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
masonv said:

It's a matter of personal preference with some as to how to add shipped fish.
Some points to ponder here (near the bottom of the article).
Personally, I don't see the point of drip acclimating, maybe I'm missing something.
If the tank water is higher in hardness and pH, you risk poisoning your fish by making the ammonia present in the bag water toxic.
If the water in the tank and bag are similar, why bother dripping in the first place?
Regardless of how you add your fish, never add bag water to your tank. It can contain a sedative that could wipe out your beneficial bacteria.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts