Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coltrane9;1369032 said:
Finally got my tank up and running again.
Converted from an African Cichlid tank...

I have
10 Neon Tetras
5 Rummynoses
1 Black Veil Angel
1 White Pearly Angel
1 Black Marble

I'm somewhat worried that the Angels might go after the Neons, but the Angels are really small, so maybe they'll just get used to them I hope.

I want to add more plants in the future, and more fish I guess.

Any suggestions on good fish that would work with this group?
Maybe another small school or a Gourami or 2?

Pics:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi Gumbo_Ghost,

Your tank looks amazing, well done. For the tank I would suggest adding a black background. I found buying a piece of black cloth from a fabric store and attaching it with Velcro strips works well and looks nice. The fabric reduces glare that you get sometimes with the vinyl type backgrounds.

As for fish to add, I would add a group of 8 corries. You could also probably try a small dwarf SA cichlid pair (but I think you tank will be nice with just adding the Cory cat fish and increasing your tetra schools, or maybe trying another school of a larger tetra that will have a better chance of survival with the Angels). Perhaps others can suggest dwarf cichlids; I have only kept German rams. They are great cichlid but I am not sure of their heat requirements compared to your other fish.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any type of Cories?
I was on a site where there were like 20 different species.

These ones look pretty cool
I'm guessing most Corys are are on the smaller side?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi Gumbo_Ghost,

Any type of cories that you like and can find will work. Some tent to be a bit more "fragile"; the panda Cory has been notorious for this (although it is popular and typically available).

The person who took that image above has them labeled as Steindachner's Cory. I have seen similar Cory cats in a LFS labeled as Corydoras cf. sterbai.

Personally my favorite is Corydoras julii, but I also have and like Corydoras melini.

You are correct that most cories stay 2" and smaller, but some such as the bronze Cory can reach 3". There are many types of Cory catfish, however, you will likely be limited to what your LFS has in stock or can order from their breeder on your behalf.

Keep us posted.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
G'day Gumbo_Ghost,

If you start seeing aggression between your Angels, you might want to consider buying 3 more. 3 Angels isn't really a goo number.

If you want to add some other cichlids, consider 6 Bolivian rams.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really nice looking tank!

Agree with DeadFishFloating. Angels will sometimes pick on the "odd one out" Even numbers for angels are better, especially if they start to form breeding pairs. I have one breeding pair of Koi angels in a 65 gallon, and they most definitely rule the tank.

Rams are great tankmates with angels, and if you wanted something that would occupy the top portion of your tank, have a look at hatchetfish or possibly Dwarf Gouramis.

Cheers,
Rich

·
Registered
352 Posts
Very nice looking tank. I agree about getting a black background. You'll be amazed at how dramatic it will look and your fish's colors will pop. It will also hide those unsightly cords and just gives a nice, finished look to you tank.

Rummynose are one of my favorite tetras and are excellent schoolers, especially in larger groups. I would increase them to about 10. Cories would be nice for the bottom. Some cories prefer a bit cooler temp but the Sterbais do well at the higher temps that the angels prefer so I would recommend them (They're also one of my favorite cories). If it were my tank I would call that done with the angels, 10 neons, 10 rummies and some cories, possibly a BN pleco also to help keep your plants and driftwood spotless.

Good luck and have fun with your tank!

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you do add any more angels make sure they are the same size as your current ones or they will pick on the new and smaller ones. Blue rams do well with angels and will stay to the bottom of the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts