Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20200510_194853.jpg
I am trying to figure out what Mbuna can be together. I going in circles with multiple people telling me different things. The mix I am considering is:

- Metriaclima Estherae Cherry and Pearl
3 males 5 female
- Labidochromis Hongi
3 males 5 female
- Cynotilapia Afra Cobue
3 males and 5 females
- Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos
2 male 5 female
- 3 Yoyo loaches and 3 Synodontis Multipunctatus

I'm not sure on the male to female ratio either.
Any help would be awesome.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

What is the length inside the rocks?

If someone told you that mix was good, you will not get agreement from me. :thumb:

I would skip the loaches. I would do 5 Synodontis.

I would do 1m:4f of all species but maingano for 1m:7f.

I would not mix 2 types of estherae.

I would choose either the hongi or the afra (new name is zebroides) as they are both blue barred fish.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks really amazing! DJ gave you some good advice. And as DJ already said, I wouldn't mix the hongi and cobue. They are very very similar in appearance.

I think you are going to have to make some compromises with stocking as the background takes up some serious real estate and there isn't a lot of places for fish to truly escape each other. Stick to one male in each group in this setup and stock dissimilar species.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The background is only 5" thick in a few spots and 3" everywhere else. The sides are 2" and only cover 3/4 of the side. The tank inside is 54x21x24 with rocks background accounted for.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Agree with DJ as well, particularly with afra cobue which I have. One male to four female to start. Very bold fish. Two males may work, but they will vehemently pick their territory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts