Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got this tank about a week ago for 50 bucks...
I have 26 fish in there, everyone seems fine everything is good, let me know what you guys think of the tank :)
also my nitrates are really high around 80pp and i just put the tank together yesterday not too worried but how i can i keep them down?
thanks for looking guys

and he is a vid of the tank and what not, enjoy
thanks for looking guys :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
killakam said:
I recently got this tank about a week ago for 50 bucks...
Is it cycled or is that fresh water and filter media? If everything was brand new and you've had it set up a week, you could have problems.

killakam said:
I have 26 fish in there
From your youtube video, no, it isn't overstocked.

killakam said:
also my nitrates are really high around 80pp and i just put the tank together yesterday not too worried but how i can i keep them down?
Water changes and plants. But as I've read on here, plants are a complicated issue that can actually raise your nitrates if they start to die, so not advised.

I guess you need to provide some more info here. Has this tank been cycled or using media from another setup? By "put together" do you mean you stocked it yesterday? What are the other water parameters (ammonia, nitrites)?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes all three HOB are from my old established 55 and 40, i filled the tank like 30% with my other fish tanks water and the rest was water from the tap.

All these fish came from tanks in my house, on sunday i took all the fish from both my 40 and 55 and put them in this tank as far as "stocking" goes

temp 78
ph 8.0
ammonia 0ppm
nitrates 80ppm
nitrite 0ppm

thanks for the help

·
Registered
142 Posts
So it sounds like you are ok from the tank being cycled perspective. It strikes me as odd that you used 70% new water (effectively a huge WC) and in less than 3 days your nitrates are that high. Could something be decaying in your setup? Even then, it seems that it can't decay that fast.

I'm a bit stumped. You need one of our local experts to chime in here. I'll keep thinking about it though. Nice tank by the way, especially for $50! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not an expert, but if it was me, I'd keep doing PWC until my nitrAte readings were <25ppm. IMHO 80ppm is terrible for your fish, especially if they are exposed to it for long periods.

-t

·
Registered
142 Posts
Agreed with CorporateGranola. Definitely do a WC when you can today. But there is something else going on here. Did the substrate come from established tanks too? If so, did you rinse it or just dump it in?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Check your tap water for nitrates.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My substrate was a brand new bag of PFS i rinsed it thoroughly, no fish have died during the change.
All the rocks are from my established tanks.. both those tanks were in direct sunlight and have had aglae build up in the filters

I will be cleaning them today and do like a 30% WC could it be over feeding? I feed twice a day for about 40 seconds..
thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You know I do remember when i switched from gravel to sand I noticed a jump in my nitrates not that high but it went up some. I just did water changes, rinsed my sponges and filter pads in the water from the tank when I did the WC and the nitrates went down immediately. When was the last time you rinsed your sponges/filter pads? They could be loaded with gunk. Watch your feeding as well if you overfeed and there is some food that isn't eaten this could get lodged in your rocks or contribute to excess waste in your tank. How many times a day are you feeding your fish? I do like your setup and fish as well nice job! Good luck I hope you get those nitrates down. WC'S WC'S :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just rinsed my filter pads today and did a 15 gallon water change, nitrates went down to 20 ppm very pleased with those outcomes.

I didn't switch substrates this is brand new PFS all my other tanks had PFS as well

thanks for the positive comments DJ823

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
No Killa. Just keep up on those water changes and you will be fine. Don't rinse your filter pads too much or you will kill off that needed bacteria. I do mine once a month or 2 months just so I'm safe. I'm glad you got the nitrates down :D. I know you didn't switch substrates lol. I was just making the comparison cause I put brand new sand in there as well like you did and my nitrates were bumped up by 20ppm. But it will settle and you will get the nitrates down I'm sure. Good luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yesterday i checked my nitrates and they went up to 180ppm over the course of 2 days.
im really stumped here, no fish are dead, *** cut down to feeding once a day and i don't want to be doing water changes every other day as i want my fish to live a peaceful life.

what else should i be looking for?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Again, I'll pose the question... could something be decaying in your tank that you aren't aware of like dead plants? Did you wash the tank with anything odd after you bought it? Did you ever test your tap water levels as Dotbomb had asked?

On May 3rd you reported 80ppm nitrates. On May 4th you said you ended up doing a 15% WC (actually, you said 15 gallons, but it is 15% anyways). You then reported 20ppm nitrate levels. That is impossible given the information you've share. If your new water is 0ppm nitrates out of tap, you have only effectively removed 15% of your 80ppm nitrates, or (80 - (80x0.15)) = 68ppm nitrates remaining. How did you get it down to 20ppm? Now a spike three days later to 180ppm????

Are you using the test kit correctly? I assume you are using API test kit. You need to shake the second bottle as the directions indicate. You also really need to shake the vial once the two are mixed for the full minute. I just can't understand how these numbers are adding up. The only thing I can come up with is an error in the testing.

If my understanding is incorrect, please let me know. I just can't understand the massive fluctuations that killakam is getting here. Killakam, lots of questions in my post, sorry. I just don't know what to make of this situation.

·
Registered
211 Posts
well there is 26 fish that is alot. you have to keep up weekly water changes. 20-30 maybe even 40 gallons a week. i would do 20. and remeber these fish are rather small once they get full grown that mean you nitrates will spike even faster because they will produce more waste. i had the same problem had to get rid of some fish

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
could something be decaying in your tank that you aren't aware of like dead plants?

No, sir i have no live plants or live anything other then my fish and all my fish are alive and accounted for.

Did you wash the tank with anything odd after you bought it? Did you ever test your tap water levels as Dotbomb had asked?

Nope i washed it 2 times with hot water and a pot scrubber that was brand new out of the bag and even that i rinsed in hot water.

How did you get it down to 20ppm? Now a spike three days later to 180ppm?

I probably tested the water way too soon because i tested it almost minuets after doing the WC, also to question #2 I read the chart wrong (API master test kit) it actually says 80 ppm I don't know why I thought it was 180ppm, sorry for that mix up.

Are you using the test kit correctly?

I actually have my girlfriend put in the first 10 drops from bottle number one as i shake #2 vigorously for 30 seconds, by the time she puts all 10 I am ready to put the 10 drops from bottle #2. After that i shake the vile for a whole minuet vigorously and let it sit for 5 min before reading the results.

No worries I will answer all questions.

adam0444
I know 26 is kind of pushing it, but I have a 55 on the side of my 100 gallon where my more aggressive fish and bigger fish will be (livingstonit, OB peacock, electric blue hap)

thanks for the help guys :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
How long has it been since your filters were cleaned? If it has been a long time, that could be part of the problem. All the waste in the filters is still in your water. It is just accumulated in your filters.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Well I truly feel like nate said above your testing your water incorrect and you even admitted to it as well. The only way your going to get your nitrates down is by water changes or adding more plants or removing some of your fish. I have a 60 gallon single Oscar tank. I do 50% water changes for him weekly. And he's a big 9 inches and a very messy fish! My nitrates are always at 10ppm and everything else is zero. You really need to do these water changes to get the nitrates down as long as your not rinsing your sponges or filter pads you will be fine and your fish will not stress out.

·
Registered
509 Posts
26 in a 100 is not the issue. I have 35.

Test your tap water. All other advice is kind of pointless until we know you aren't adding nitrates when changing water.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never admitted to testing my water the wrong way, I tested too soon and I read the results card incorrectly.

I will be testing my water shortly, ill post the results, do a 30 gallon water change and test tomorrow morning posting results.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts