Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what thread to post this on but I kinda have the same problem but mine is with them getting eaten....
I have snow whites, yellow labs and demosoni and they've been in the tank coming up two weeks and the biggest Snow White has eaten two of my demasoni's. They were on the smaller side about 1-1/2" so still juvies I'd say, not sure if that is the problem or not. They seem to be healthy and happy, all of them have grown since I've gotten them and all have beautiful colour..especially the little demasonis. So what I guess I'm asking is, is this normal for a bigger fish (probably 2-1/4" - 2-1/2") to munch on smaller guys, and he's the only one that will eat them or am I doing something wrong I don't know about?

Here what I have for a set up and numbers:
75G bow front with a couple plants for sight barriers filled with cichlid rocks and terracotta planters for territory
7-snow white socolofi
6-yellow labs
5- demasoni (had 7)
1-kenyi (got put in the bag by accident and didn't realize till I got home)
I don't know sex of the fish but the big snow I would say is a male cuz he runs the tank but have never seen him spar with another...have seen him break up fights before, which is kinda cool.
Any help or information is much appreciated
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I have never seen one mbuna eat another mbuna while living.

All fish will eat a fish that has died.

I'm guessing your demasoni died first, and then got eaten.

Are your fish eating every time you feed them...every fish every time? What do the feces on your demasoni look like? Thick and food-colored? Or white/clear and thready?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They could have died first but had no signs of illness and he was living this morning and my girlfriend was home all day and said they were all going strong as well, when I got home early from work and I swear they were all living at the time but I very well could have missed counting one. They all eat and I made sure of it every time I feed them. The little guys were always up at the top fighting for food and gobling it up. Poop looks fine coming out of all of them no clear strings. I'm baffled and mad cuz they are my favourite and most expensive

·
Registered
641 Posts
My two Demasoni died the same way, all seemed fine before they died and no external visible signs of why they even died. Everything I've heard about Demasoni says that they are actually more delicate than it would seem and they do better in species only tanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thank you two for your help...guess I'll let natural selection take its course since I live 2 hours from the nearest LFS and don't have another tank to be a grow out. Hopefully the last two little guys can grow up quick and defend themselves, if they are getting picked on to death.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Be careful that any harassed fish don't become sick and infect the tank. Watch for any fish that lurk under the surface or near filter intakes or heaters no matter how healthy they look.

They are fine with other species, but IME they are better in very large groups and yes, they get bloat fairly easily. They have a particularly long gut. You can see by the profile that they are more difficult to keep than many mbuna.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts