Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In and out of this hobby for almost 20 years, this is my new "venture" into the hobby. I will make this thread a "journal" and will be posting here pictures of my tank as it matures. Hopefully ya'll will enjoy!

Here's how's the tank looks today. More details will be posted later. Feel free to stop by and say a word or two. :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Very Nice, I like the nice clean look of the tank and rock work. Wish the top of my tank was like yours so it wasnt just a "catch-all" for all my stuff! :wink:

What is that digital display thing with the wire running under the cabinet?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I love the look of an open top tank...

One thing though, Mbuna are known leapers so be aware that you may come home to a fish on the floor.... FYI

Is that a 4 X 2 - 120 gal?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@cantrel, thanks! I know they jump sometimes... but for my luck I have been keeping Tanganyikas and Malawis with open top tanks and believe me I never lost a single fish that jump'd. One of the reasons I like to keep the water level a little "lower" than normal in these tanks... it helps. Tank is 4' x 24" x 20....about 100g

@xxbenjammin, thanks man! The display it's a digital controller..controls the lights, controls the temperature/PH(Very precisely), the water replacement etc etc.
It's definitively not needed, but I had it already so I decided to use it. It's makes things easier and kinda looks cool :)

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
@cantrel, thanks! I know they jump sometimes... but for my luck I have been keeping Tanganyikas and Malawis with open top tanks and believe me I never lost a single fish that jump'd. One of the reasons I like to keep the water level a little "lower" than normal in these tanks... it helps. Tank is 4' x 24" x 20....about 100g
Ohhh.. Ok. Yes, I see in the photos that you have the water level down a few inches. I agree, that will definitely help.

How is the controller controlling the pH? CO2?

That is a beautiful tank! :thumb:

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
codyDjung

I would be willing to bet that this tank was once a reef setup & if so, he already had all of the hi tech necessities to support such a system.

The open top REALLY looks like a converted reef system to me.. Maybe I am wrong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cantrell00 said:
Ohhh.. Ok. Yes, I see in the photos that you have the water level down a few inches. I agree, that will definitely help.

How is the controller controlling the pH? CO2?

That is a beautiful tank! :thumb:
Thanks bud! The controller is not controlling the PH, just monitor it. The controller it's from a Nano Reef tank I had. I lost a tank in the past cause a malfunctioning heater, so after that I never trusted a heater anymore. The controller give me a little peace of mind regarding that. It turns on the heater if it's too cold, and turns the fan if it's too hot. If the heater malfunction, it "senses" it and shut that channel down. Right now is just turning the lights on and off, showing/controlling the temp and showing the PH. Of course I really don't need that to keep the tank, but since I had it, I say why not use it to make things a tad easier..even if it's just a little? lol

cantrell00 said:
I would be willing to bet that this tank was once a reef setup & if so, he already had all of the hi tech necessities to support such a system.

The open top REALLY looks like a converted reef system to me.. Maybe I am wrong.
Almost! hehehe
The tank is new and was made to house the Cichlids. I always loved open top tanks. I had Reef and planted tanks with open tops too. Now the controller DID come from a Nano Reef I had! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
codyDjung said:
i like it man! Where can you get one of those controllers?
Thanks man! The controller it's called The ReefKepper Lite:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Digital_Aqua ... MI-vi.html

I think it's more than worth the asking price for what you get. You can buy the base model(the one I have) and then upgrade as you want/need.

gary04 said:
First of all....Nice tank, Second...what kind of canister filter are you using?
Thanks! It's an Attman 3338. It's VERY simillar to the Eheim, but sells for half the price and was the only one available around here when I started the this tank. It's been pretty decent so far. It's very solid and dead silent.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Of course I really don't need that to keep the tank, but since I had it, I say why not use it to make things a tad easier..even if it's just a little? lol
A pH monitor is one of the smartest buys I have ever made...

Do they make one to monitor nitrates? If so, are they out of sight expensive?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gatorbaiter said:
Very nice looking tank :) What is your stocking list?
Thanks!

Stocking list as of now:

8 Saulosi , 8 Yellow Labs, 2 Acei, 1 Red Zebra(will be out soon), 6 Trewavasae Red Top. I'm waiting my LFS to get me 8 Mainganos, then I will call for the day in that tank and see how things will turns out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cantrell00 said:
Of course I really don't need that to keep the tank, but since I had it, I say why not use it to make things a tad easier..even if it's just a little? lol
A pH monitor is one of the smartest buys I have ever made...

Do they make one to monitor nitrates? If so, are they out of sight expensive?
The one I have doesn't monitor Nitrates, but I think there are other "do it all" models from other companies that does. About the price, depends on what you want, but it will be more expensive for sure. There's Nitrates ONLY monitors that costs $249. A "do it all" controller like the one I have WITH Nitrate monitoring would probably cost a big penny.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm sure you know this but I'll point it out anyways...saluosi males will go for lab females, and lab males will go for saluosi females....just saying you'll likely have a lot of hybrid fry on your hands...why not switch saluosi to dems or cyn. hara?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, eoconnor, I did not know it. Really? I never kept "mixed" Cichlid tanks before, just species specific, lots of them. But then I'm also experienced enough to know that fish act different from tank to tank. So let's see how they do and if they will cross breed in my tank. Both species have enough females for their males right now There's just ONE male from each species. If they start doing, I take one species off. My son favorite fish are the Saulosi and I really like the Yellows. But then that could be an excuse for a Saulosi only tank down the road. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have always loved red top trewavasaes. I don't have them in my current tank but have kept them for years. Great fish :thumb: One of my top three!

·
Registered
478 Posts
You are right about a general rule of thumb not being applicable to all tanks...it does vary with individual fish for sure and the order they are added and the size they are added. If two years pass with your males not courting the 'other' yellow females you will have broken a 'rule'. I once kept south americans with mbuna in san diego tap water and everyone told me it wasn't possible...I got away with it by only having one fish of each species and by having the SA in there first...but I would never try it again, I'm sure i wouldn't get lucky twice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gatorbaiter said:
I have always loved red top trewavasaes. I don't have them in my current tank but have kept them for years. Great fish :thumb: One of my top three!
Couldn't agree more with you, gator! I always loved these fish. I had a 75g with only them in the past. I took some pictures I will be uploading. Hopefully they won't be too mean with the rest of the fishes in there

@ eoconnor, yup, rules are there to be broken for sure.
Although you can't compare me keeping some species that MAY cross breed with the rule you broke. :)
In your case, that involved fish's health, since you were keeping an acid water fish with an alkaline fish and from a different Lake..with different water requirements. I would never try that, even though i know I could keep them with my mbunas if I obey'd some simple "rules". I have kept many tanks and most likely broke many rules... but sometimes you just need to have your own experience(like you did!) and follow your instincts cause fish keeping isn't and will never be an "exact", precise science. Like an old author used to say, the only thing right in this hobby is to put some water.

BTW, I forgot to include the Kenyi "girl" I have. She will be out too, but she looks so pretty that I decided to let her stay for a little more.. :fish:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts