Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 fronts in a 4x2x2 120 gal tank I know 1 is male and think the other 4 are females and the last one I think is a male.

I have been feeding them NlS since the first part of January and the last few days I noticed my big male is not eating and looks rather thin.

water parameters are
ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate unknown but I do water change once every 2 weeks
temp 78

they have all been living together for over a year with zero problems

any Idea what is could be?

The others are eating but not a whole lot.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from what though? nothing has changed?

the only thing I thought it could be is the NlS sinks and he may have eaten some crushed coral?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have had them for 15 months now and they have been in the 120 for 13 months not sure of the ph of the top of my head but I think around 7.7-7.8 maybe I'll have to check

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried feed again today and he is just not interested and the others seem to eat but then spit it out

I also dropped in a few algae wafers and the male grabbed one and then spit it out? now I am not going to feed for a few days and then see what happens?

·
Registered
90 Posts
this is common when the fish are stressed i have had this when i first brought frontosa home but seeing as they have been in the tank for 13 months something else must be stressing them. i would do a large water change and keep an eye on the water quality. also try feeding some frozen krill its there favorite

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
It is rare, but not entirely unheard of that frontosa males can hold some of the fry. Has there been any breeding activity in your colony?

If that isn't it, I would agree with Charles that a well fed front can easily skip a few meals. With my fronts moved from daily feeding to feeding every other day, because if I feed daily there just doesn't seem to be enough interest, and a lot of food keeps sitting around, even when I feed smaller portions. One time I was on a 10 day vacation and my autofeeder malfunctioned so they didn't get fed at all. I have a lot of small fish in the tank with the fronts, but suffered no detectable losses.

When fronts are not doing well, I would advise a strategy of feeding less rather than enticing them with their favorite food. In that regard they are a bit like people. When I have an upset stomach, I'd rather fast a day than to eat a huge bowl of ice cream :D

Last but not least, I think it is far better for fronts to eat from the bottom. If they swallow a few grains of sand of crushed coral, they'll simply spit that back out. Fronts are diggers anyhow. If they eat from the surface and gulp in air that can cause a lot more trouble.

Hope he'll be better soon!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fmueller
no breeding at all so i know he is not holding

i am thinking of just going to every other day after a few days of fasting.

we will see i will let you know if he eats or does not.

thank you

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now no one is eating. the others will pick it up and then spit it out.

could they just be picky and not like the NLS?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Mine get NLS almost exclusively. What were you feeding before you changed to NLS?

One thing to consider is that a single pellet of 3mm NLS contains quite a bit of food. They don't need very many of those on any given day. If you want to feed the same amount of food in flakes, it looks like a truck load of stuff, but it's just more voluminous.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they use to eat pellets from kens fish.

They have been eating nls since jan 11

and I have not added anything to my tank since Dec. when I re introduced one of my fronts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
still has not eaten I tried some frozen shrimp he took a bite and spit it out.

he is starting to look super skinny now.

I have begun treating with metro for 3 or 4 days now. what else would help incase it is bloat or what else would it be?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Sorry to hear there doesn't seem to be an improvement. Probably hard to turn that fish around once it has weakened so much already. At that stage, the side effects of any strong med like Clout are likely to just finish it off. Have you tried salt? There are some good tips about that in this article, but really at this stage it's all just grabbing for straws.

Best of luck - you'll need it!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
he has lived in the tank for over a year. I do not think it was stress. he is now starting to eat again.

I think New life spectrum made him sick I will no longer be buying any NLS products.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is in my eyes because I began feeding the same els to other fish after my fronts were sick and now those fish are sick as well.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Are you possibly over feeding? NLS is a "concentrated" food to say it simply, not a lot of fillers and stuff. I fed NLS to tropheus for a couple years and never had any real issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts