Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up Cichlid Forum! hope everyone had a good day.

well first i was wondering if Auratus and Johannis can be housed together?? i mean these guys are a no no together right? but are they fine in an overstocked 110g??

yes my tank is a 110g and also heres what my stock is looking like....
tell me what you think. good, bad and advice, or your opinions what you would do. I planning on Overstocking with...

right now in the tank is...
6 small clown loaches
Juvenile:
powder blue
demasoni
trevewasse
ob peacock
cant figure out what this guys is but looks like a dark mixed ob....?
and a large Peacock

and wanting to add...
Juvenile:
2 labs
2 auratus's
and if so 2 johannis
3 zebras
2 more trevewasse's
5 more demasoni's
2 more ob's
2 more of the guys that look like dark ob's
2 aceis
and maybe 1 or 2 more male Large peacocks....

havent really done the math on how much fish and what not this is.. too crowded.. room for more? keep in mind i have 2 canister filters for 200g of filtration.

and please dont make the replys about how big fish get like the clowns. i know this. when fish get too big i trade them in with my LFS buddy.

more Reply the better!

thanks
Corey

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well I hate to break it to ya, but most of your fish won't work as single or even pairs of fish. They need 1 male with 4 or more females. So unless you are planning on setting up an all male tank, your going to have to rethink it. How long is your tank? If it's 4 feet long I would stick with 4 species of mbuna with 1 male and 4 or more females.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know what you mean matt. but the odds of finding someone that can sex cichlids around here is unheard of. ESPECIALLY from Petsmart. and thats where cichlids are cheaper lol.
my LFS buddy sales what they dont have but twice the price. and he never tells me the sex either because he said hes had bad past with that... and with sand as my substrate anytime i move something the whole tank fills up merky. so i dont wanna try the taking trial and error method and bringing and taking fish back to try to have the male to 3 females ratio.... is why *** decided to just mix it all up. being overstocked and alot of room this should work.. right? my biggest concern is mbunas with peacocks. because the peacocks are peaceful but again my LFS buddy said he has em together in all there show tanks around the town fine... what do i do???

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Most peacocks are likely to be killed in such a setup. OB peacocks and jacobfreibergi peacocks are a bit more aggressive and can sometimes handle medium-aggressive mbuna, but even they would probably be killed by an auratus.

Do not add auratus and johanni, they will view each other as competitors. In general, try and pick species that look different from one another.

Species groups of two or three individuals are the worst way to go. Either shoot for singles (just 1 male per species) or harems of 1 male with about 4 females.

If your tank becomes murky every time you move something, then it's time for a good vacuum. I have sand in all of my tanks too, this is not an inherent property of sand. Some sands (like play sand or pool filter sand) you have to rinse out before putting in your tank because they have a lot of dust/dirt in them. Maybe you didn't rinse the sand before adding to your tank? If not, you should do a water change or two with some excessive siphon-vacuuming.

If you want to add a bunch of fish and not sex them and not remove them when certain fish start causing problems, then you should probably choose to stock your tank with community fish. Malawi cichlids have attitude (which makes them interesting and challenging) and you have to pay attention to the social groups that you create for them, otherwise they will literally kill each other.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome info. and thank you!

*** kept malawis for 3 yrs now. but with 2 55g's of "assorted" malawis and sold both of them for my first big tank. so i wanna go crazy with what i put in there lol but safe for the fish.
my first time with sand also. and noted i didnt know that.

so.. either auratus or johanni
get rid of my peacock
and stay with singles.... right?

what if some of the singles are females?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hows this for a stock?

powder blue
trevewase
acei
jacob
electric blue
livingstoni
venustus
kenyi
ob
and the dark ob looking guy
auratus or johanni
demasoni x 6
Lab x 4
clown loach x 6
bristlenose pleco
and 2 or 3 synodontus catfish

and *** wanted to try having a Green Terror since i saw one in a well established african tank on youtube. until he gets to big then trade him for another small one. i know your not suppose to mix lakes but *** heard of some successfull american/african mixed tanks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
american/african mixes are tricky because of the water.

Demasoni is either more than twelve or one (or they will make it only one).

Auratus gets killer mean if it's a male - it may or may not work.

Any females in this mix will get harassed to death and will produce weird hybrid fry before then

When the venustus gets bigger it may or may not eat its tankmates. Same with the livingstoni.

Seems to me you're taking a bigger risk this way than getting larger groups and returning extra males.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
What happened to the idea of singles? And yes if you are doing singles they should all be male. Think in terms of a dozen fish in a 48" tank and choose a theme of either mbuna or haps/peacocks.

If you are doing groups, figure four species with 1m:4f of each for average aggression (auratus and johannii are above average aggression).

Choose fish that mature at 6" or less.

I would not do clowns at all but you know the reasoning for that. If clowns are essential then I would skip the synodontis. Synodontis like multipunctatus, lucipinnis and petricola do better in groups of 5-6 individuals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts