Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 yellow labs, 3 female 1 male. The bigger of the 3 females was holding for awhile then not, my guess is she ate them? It's been a few months and I see nothing happening, not that I look all that often. Once in awhile a couple of the females will be hiding up in the corner but none holding. Seems they should be mating more often but I don't have much to compare it to.

They all seem to get along fine except for the occasional hiding. Perams in the tank are fine, other fish are 6 Acei, 4 Rusty and 1 Demasoni.

Is this the norm for the most part and just give it time. Not sure the fry would make it either way, out of 2 years I have had only one fry survive.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One for sure was holding awhile back, the other two are fairly small 1.5"+ No signs what so ever of black pectoral fins very slight black stripe on the dorsal. I know this could mean squat but they look identical to the bigger female. Will wait and see over time.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
In the absence of a male a female will sometimes lay eggs and brood them (unfertilized) in her mouth for a few days. I guess she eventually realizes they are duds and probably eats them. I've witnessed this happen in one of my tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.