Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my older labs seem ok so far and they just hang out in their caves.

problem is that they dont come out when food is dumped ..so they never really seem to eat.

i can honestly say that i havent seen them eat a thing in the few day that i have had them.

but on the other hand they are sometimes quite active ...so i suppose i might have to time the feeds to when they are out ..but i sense that they arent even interested in food.

the younger smaller labs are up there with the best of them eating loads....maybe the older ones are old stock and a bit freaked out from being in a shop tank too long??

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
How long has the tank been set up?

What are the water parameters on the tank?

What is your normal tank maintenance routine?

What size tank is this? What is the complete stock list?

Any white stringy feces?

Any losses in the tank recently?

How long have you had them? Did you QT them before adding them to your main tank?

Kim

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the tank has been cycling with a talapia for a couple of months...taken out because he will be too agressive and big.

i am changing the water 30 percent every 3 days.

did the ammonia nitrates and nitrites tests which are in order.

the stock list is

6 codango ..which i think might be a local name for kadango.
5 blue dolphin....lost one with what looks like ich
3 blue ali......lost 3 quite quickly after purchase ...i think they were not good from the begining.
3 milomo
6 labs ..two big four small
6 tawain reef
6 white tail ahli

all juviniles apart from the two labs in question.

the tank is a 150g 60x12x12...sand substrate with rocks ..a rock wall...lots of caves.

tank running normally at about 32 deg celcius...brought down to 29 with a fan.

2217 filter

no stringy white feaces.

feeding them ...but trying to keep it less rather than more.

treated the tank with sera brand for ich.....two dose over three days.

the two older labs seemed to respond very well to this...they were very docile and ill before i did the treatment....but it could just be a coincidence.

all fish were added at the same time although the labs (yellow prince) were from another petshop.

...i almost feel like i am answering my own question by puting all this info down on one page.

ie ...the two labs were ill but they are getting better...but they might not have regained their appetite yet....but i will see what the doc says!!

...i have to say that all the other fish seem like the healthiest bunch i have ever laid eyes on.

and water is from a deep well....loads of calcium to the point of it being a problem with scaling up the impeller and everything else ...no chlorine because noone puts it in.

...thats about it as far as i can recall...

oh ..and the fish were all bought on saturday.....so its all very new as far as the fish are concerned.

i am feeding sera red and green ..ie fish base and veg based pellets..

plus a more powdery local cichlid pellet that i break down into a semi powdery feed so that all the fish have a chance of getting some...mainly to try and encourge the two older labs to at least try and get some of what comes down to their level.

but they dont....which worries me.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It may be that you need to continue the treatment a bit longer. You saw improvement with 3 days of treatment, but maybe that wasn't enough. (Sometimes we have to ignore package instructions and keep in mind that these meds are very mild - if they weren't, we would need a prescription!)

One thing I do want to caution you about, though...That's a pretty big fish load for a tank that was cycled with just one fish, if I'm understanding you correctly. Watch those water parameters! You don't want to stress them further while something else is still going on.

I think you'll be fine if you just keep the water pristine and go another round with those meds. :thumb:

Kim

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm.....another smaller fish died shortly after a water change..... just found it suddenly belly up floating at the top...strangely his mouth was set fully open .....normally they dont do that when they are found dead?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if fish keep dying despite all my best efforts ...at some stage i am going to have to take a view that the ones left after all of this settling in has taken place will be mother natures fitest...........so let it be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts