Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I picked up this lab at a LFS in a mixed tank cuz I thought his fin coloring was awesome. Now that I have it home, I've began to doubt my fish picking skills. Depending on it's mood, the horizontal and vertical stripes on it's side darken up a ton and I don't have any experience with labs so is that normal or is it his hybrid genes trying to pop out. I haven't managed to get any pictures in a dark mood yet, but this is what he looks like most of the time. he's purty.

oh yeah, any way to tell if it's a male or female? i tend to refer to it as male since it's bigger than my little guys, but I have no idea.

oh yeah, and it's not a fish tank if it doesn't have a fake castle in it somewhere. :lol:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
doesn't look like a hybrid, but it looks like a low quality mass produced whole sale local fish store "electric" yellow. Next time pick the labs based on the body color too!! As for gender, I'm willing to bet a few dollars that that is a male, but once again its hard to be 100% sure, since males and females can look identical. If you're serious about keeping and breeding, try to get hook ups from local breeders. goodluck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already been in contact with locals to get ahold of some good labs for my new tank that is going up. this guy won't be breeding. my tank just had 8 of the zebra and 8 saulosi fry that you see in one of those pictures and it needed some color so I got them a yellow friend until they get bigger and colorful.

thanx

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think it may be a hybrid from somewhere down the line.

There is a horizontal stripe running down it's sides.

Kim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts