Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know if you are like me you hate reading long posts, so I made the really important parts in bold.

I went in my room today and noticed that my Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis Bimiculatus) was out in the middle of the aquarium. He wasn't acting shy like he usually does when I walk in the room. He has a stump decor he always hides under, but he wasn't hideing.

I thought this was pretty strange, Joel, my jewel is a shy cichlid. I closely examined him and realized that his colors were duller than normal. He only shows that coloring when he is in stress. He is usually a bright red and bright tan, but right now he is dark brown with dull blue spots. Under close examination I realized that he had a loose scale on his head! It was just hanging out, clear in coloring!

What do I do? He has lived in the tank with the same decor for 6 months! I haven't tested it in awhile, but I have done huge water changes in the past few weeks. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
first off, any others in the tank??

a single loose scale isn't too much too worry about, he could have bumped himself (or subject of aggression, hence asking first)

being out in the open might mean he's comfortable, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. and the stress colouration may well be the result of the injury.

as the good book states. (Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy)
DONT PANIC.

watch him for a few days, but I dont think there is anything you need to worry about

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Him being in the open was very out of character for Joel. He might have been in shock from a minor injury?

He is all by himself. He used to have tankmates, but 1 fish died of a diesase, and the other was accidently killed by my older brother. It was divided, but he used to have a buddy on his side he always got along with.

He is hideing again, so I think maybe he is out of shock, or whatever came over him. Will the scale fall off by itself? It is kinda ugly, and Joel is the one of the most beautiful fish I have.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
just give it time. the scale will likely drop off in the next few hours, even if it doesn't dont worry, unless it gets infected I wouldn't touch it (risk causing more damage both physically and emotionally (make him more stressed))

as he is on his own, this may be the reason he's hiding. I would consider adding some dithers (giant danios, Congo tetras, something big enough not to be eaten) through quarantine them first (this also depends on tank size, but it should be big enough to take those if you got him in there anyway (hopefully 30" or bigger))

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it was sorta a mistake I made in the first days when: 1) any fish can live in a 10g tank, as long as it will fit 2) There is no reason to research a fish before you get it, they are all the same. :(

Joel lives in a 10g tank. He used to always be out in the open back when he had some tankmates. Now I never see him (unless I stare into the darkness of his stump/cave).

I guess I don't have room for any tankmates?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there anything that can live with the jewel that doesn't require a tank larger than 10g?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
sorry for the delay.

TBH, I dont think adding others to this tank is feasible. possibly if you could get a 20g you might squeeze a few tetras in there, but 10g isn't a lot of space for mixing them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. I know. I just want my Jewel to be as happy as he can be. I haven't added anything, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts