Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I adopted American Jack Dempsey 2,5 month ago Male about 3,4 years old 3 weeks ago he turned completely black and he swimming weird I treat him from Hexamida with METROPLEX it's didt help so he doesn't have Hexamida he has a swim bladder problem I just don't know what can cause it and how I can help him ? Please tell me what should I do??
Thank you

·
Registered
641 Posts
Jack Dempsey's usually turn lighter when sick, and darker to show aggression or mating behavior. But the odd swimming behavior might also be a response to internal parasites IMO. I know you mentioned the water is fine, but what is your nitrates reading?

1. Please give tank dimensions.
2. How long has the tank been running?
3. What is you water change schedule - % changed and frequency.
4. List tankmates: species and sizes.
5. List any fish recently added to tank.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thank you for answering
Nitrate 10
pH 7.0
Ammonia 0
NITRITE 0
His aqurium is only 20 gallons I adopted him and his old aqurium was 20 gallons too but when he goes better I already decided to buy him 40 gallons now he is in STREESS I can put him in a new aqurium
Tank been running 2,5 month it's only him no other fishes the filtration I have for 50 gallon aqurium
Every week 25%
But last week when we treated his aqurium with Metronidozole we changed 25% every day for 5 days

·
Registered
641 Posts
Water parameters look good.

Arianna777 said:
His aqurium is only 20 gallons I adopted him and his old aqurium was 20 gallons too but when he goes better I already decided to buy him 40 gallons now he is in STREESS I can put him in a new aqurium
So he's still in his original 20gal or you recently put him in a 40gal then back to the 20gal?

Tank been running 2,5 month it's only him no other fishes the filtration I have for 50 gallon aqurium
Every week 25%
But last week when we treated his aqurium with Metronidozole we changed 25% every day for 5 days
What food do you feed and when is the last time he ate? Depending on this answer I would do one of the below options. Bear in mind this is only my opinion and what I would personally do in the situation.

1. If he has eaten recently: put salt (sodium chloride) in the water @ 1 Tablespoon per 5gal of tank water, keep feeding as normal. Look for improvement in the next 5-10 days.
2. If he hasn't eaten in weeks: in this case the fish would be doubly weakened since he's also been treated with meds that didn't help. IMO the outlook for survival isn't as good as if he is currently eating. But I suppose I would try API General Cure and hope that by some miracle he improves.

I wouldn't do both salt + meds together. I hope your fish survives.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No his original aqurium was 20 gallons I put him in 10 gallons because my mom didt want a bigger aqurium I told her it's to small so we bought him a 20 gallons 2 month ago but now I'm ready to put him in 40 gallon aqurium I just don't want to do it right now because he is in stress and sick
He eats very good as before he always hungry but we don't feed him a lot 2 times per day 4 pellets not more or flakes or frozen shrimps or cucumber or pees green
What kind of salt do you mean Epson salt?

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some veterinarian who I contacted online he told me to do KANAPLEX is it fine for general cure?
And why my fish like that any guess?
Thank you

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No API general cure it's from parasites, hole in the head aka Hexamida
The best treatment for that is Metronedozole which I already done it he doesn't have parasites

·
Registered
641 Posts
Deeda said:
Aquarium salt or any salt that is only sodium chloride with no additives.
Like Deeda said, this is the same salt you flavor food with. Aquarium salt (buy at the pet store/fish store), non-iodized or Kosher Salt which are common in most grocery stores in the US.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Arianna777 said:
No his original aqurium was 20 gallons I put him in 10 gallons because my mom didt want a bigger aqurium I told her it's to small so we bought him a 20 gallons 2 month ago but now I'm ready to put him in 40 gallon aqurium I just don't want to do it right now because he is in stress and sick
He eats very good as before he always hungry but we don't feed him a lot 2 times per day 4 pellets not more or flakes or frozen shrimps or cucumber or pees green
What kind of salt do you mean Epson salt?
I wouldn't move him to another tank until he improves. Do you know what size the pellets are - 1mm or 2mm, etc? Assuming you're feeding him enough, I would continue as you have been with the feeding.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I know you right he was very stressed when we add him in one aqurium than to another but he was healthy now he is not so of cause I will wait
I giving him medium pellet Hikilari company for Cichlid

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So Aqurium salt ok
But what for how it's will help ?
I used Epson salt to help him swimm they say it's helps if he has a swimm bladder
Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
Arianna777 said:
No API general cure it's from parasites, hole in the head aka Hexamida
The best treatment for that is Metronedozole which I already done it he doesn't have parasites
API General Cure is for a "wide variety of parasitic diseases". But as I said I wouldn't medicate again if he's eating.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok but do you know what should I do?
Someone recommend me to do KANAPLEX
I did give him METROPLEX it's from Hexamida but he kind of still the same and that person told me to do anibiotic like Kanaplex
But it's to much meds my mom she live with the fish lol she saying we gonna poison him
So you saying no meds , no salt ?
Thank you
I'm very appreciated you helping me

·
Registered
641 Posts
Arianna,

I can't tell you for sure what you should do. I already posted what I would do based on the info provided in your first three posts. But you have to decide based on all the information, which only you have. I think you should get your mom involved and ask her to help you decide.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh no hon she doesn't know about fishes anything I'm dictating her what to do
But what would you do if you treated tank with Metronidozole for 5 days than feed a fish with METROPLEX for 1 week
Would you do a Kanaplex it's for infections and bacteria
Of cause after a week or two break?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Would you do a Kanaplex it's for infections and bacteria
Of cause after a week or two break?
Yes I would give him some time to recover with just fresh, clean water before trying more meds. IME meds can cause more harm than good when I've dealt with sick fish. Using the correct meds can help but what I've found to help fish recover a great deal more has simply been fresh, clean water in a stress-free environment, with salt when applicable. Be patient and watch for improvement. Salt (the proper amount, temporarily during treatment) won't hurt your fish and can help in various ways.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you're going to add salt then add 4 level tablespoons to the 20gal aquarium. Dissolve the salt in a separate container of water before adding evenly throughout the aquarium. The salt will ease stress by aiding fish's breathing and ward off secondary infections. I would do this for around 14 days and see if he improves. Continue water changes but make them as quiet & stress-free as possible for your fish. Continue feeding as normal.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts