Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my impellar shaft broke on my 405 fluval..I have another one coming(they are overnighting it) Will I loose all of my BB? my cannister is filled with tank water but obviously it is not plugged in.

I do have a cycled AC 110 going. When i get my impellar shaft tommorrow and restart my 405 will I have lost my cycle? or will they be ok for 24 hours or less. Or should I pick up an airstone and some tubing and put it in the cannister and have turn it on inside the cannister for oxygen.

anyone? Reall dont want to lose my cycle in my 405

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't think you would lose it in only 24 hours. But even if you did, I think your 110 would have enough BB to carry your tank until it reestablishes.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think you'll be fine, but I'd at least open it up so oxygen is available to the bacteria. The airstone isn't a bad idea either. Why not, if you have it already.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll open canister, dont have an xtra airstone or tubing..would have to go to LFS to get it. But i'd rather not spend the money. I'm already paying extra from Fluval to over night this part. ARGGGGGG!!!

any other experts on the life of BB without oxygen..they can't be that fragile. Unlike my impellar shaft

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
funnyjew2 said:
any other experts on the life of BB without oxygen..they can't be that fragile. Unlike my impellar shaft
They will die without oxygen, but that doesn't make them fragile. How long that will take depends on a lot of things. No one is going to be able to tell you how long yours will ilve. Too many variables involved. The greater danger is from the potential denitrification process that can go on in anerobic conditions. I'd at least empty and refill the canister before starting it back up in case those processes have begun to generate nitrites, etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
absolutely I was going to do that. I was thinking of doing it a few times today or at least tonite before I get the new shaft tommorrow. what do you think

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I have no way to say how long but they can be fragile under the right conditions. Like no O2 for twenty four hours? Humm. Maybe so/ maybe not depending on a lot of things we can't figure. With that in mind, I would go careful and assume they were dead. I would try to be prepared with testing to see what is up. Before putting the canister back in operation, I would dump the water in case it is full of dead junk. Things without oxygen can go back quickly. I would not rinse or clean the media assuming there might be lots of BB left. Kind of playing it both ways because you don't know. I would have a plan in mind for what to do if there is a major spike. Got some backup stuff on the shelf and a plan? Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
absolutely I was going to do that. I was thinking of doing it a few times today or at least tonite before I get the new shaft tommorrow. what do you think
A couple times between now and tomorrow might not be a bad idea. Just be sure to use tank water. It may seem overkill, but should ensure that you don't lose any bacteria. Costs nothing to do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PfunMo said:
I have no way to say how long but they can be fragile under the right conditions. Like no O2 for twenty four hours? Humm. Maybe so/ maybe not depending on a lot of things we can't figure. With that in mind, I would go careful and assume they were dead. I would try to be prepared with testing to see what is up. Before putting the canister back in operation, I would dump the water in case it is full of dead junk. Things without oxygen can go back quickly. I would not rinse or clean the media assuming there might be lots of BB left. Kind of playing it both ways because you don't know. I would have a plan in mind for what to do if there is a major spike. Got some backup stuff on the shelf and a plan? Cheap insurance.
I have an AC110 thats cycled and running...I already cleaned mechanical in tank water from my mainenance. then put it back...It is what it is..hopefully the 110 will carry the load until my 405 can catch up..and hopefully the over night package will get here in the AM so it wont be a full 24 hours anyway. I will add some stability though after I start it back up again and of course do multiple test a week .

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
after a few hours of this disaster I did a water test and I'm already getting reading of ammonia .25-50 I added Prime, but why isn't my AC 110 taking care of the ammonia, that is cycled. I also just dumped out water from the cannister and filled it up with tank water. I'll do it again earlier this evening, but it doesn't look good. I know once I get this 405 up and running it's going to cycle ahain. Should I add some stability into the tank now for the other filter?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
funnyjew2 said:
after a few hours of this disaster I did a water test and I'm already getting reading of ammonia .25-50 I added Prime, but why isn't my AC 110 taking care of the ammonia, that is cycled. I also just dumped out water from the cannister and filled it up with tank water. I'll do it again earlier this evening, but it doesn't look good. I know once I get this 405 up and running it's going to cycle ahain. Should I add some stability into the tank now for the other filter?
Classic example of how unpredictable biofiltration is and why I always hesitate to say this or that will be ok when it comes to someone else's tank or fish. Evidently the bulk of your bio was being done by the canister. There could be lots of reasons for this. Water changes and detox and no feeding until you get the filter fixed, would be my suggestion. Fish have ridden out worse, FWIW.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
prov356 said:
funnyjew2 said:
Classic example of how unpredictable biofiltration is and why I always hesitate to say this or that will be ok when it comes to someone else's tank or fish. Evidently the bulk of your bio was being done by the canister. There could be lots of reasons for this. Water changes and detox and no feeding until you get the filter fixed, would be my suggestion. Fish have ridden out worse, FWIW.
believe me, no feeding whatsoever...I think i'm going to take out the trays of BB and place them in a 5 gallon bucket (with tank water) with an airstone. Then hope for the best when I get my replacement part tommorrow. Hopefully I only lose 10- 20% of my BB I don't mind going through a mini cycle, and you're right, fish have gone through worse. The Prime will alieviate any toxic for up to 48 hours and I will already have my fluval up and running by then. Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I filled up a 5 gallon bucket with tank water. took the 3 trays of Ceramic rings placed them in and turned on my airstone. it's bubbling good in their now..plenty of oxygen. Now hopefully this will save the rest of my BB. The last 5- 6 hours was in my cannister with tank water. And I did a small water change too. and will test water params later tonight. Thanks man! I left my mechanical in the cannister with water in it. Figured, I was changing those anyway and rinsing them off in bucket when I initially did my maintenance. I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FLuval!!!! They never shipped my overnight ceramic shaft AHHHHHHHHHHH IDIOTS!!!!

AFTER DEALING WITH THOSE IDIOTS IN MA. THEY ARE CREDITING ME AND SHIPPING IT AND NOW I WILL GET IT TOMMORROW. MY BIO HAS BEEN SITTING IN A 5 GALLON BUCKET WITH AN AIRSTONE SINCE LAST NIGHT. I hope when I get this part tommorrow i have not lost to much of my cycle. How long can these little guys go without an ammonia source.? the bucket is bubbling with plenty of oxygen..that seems more important than going 2 days without food.

thankfully my AC 110 is picking up the load of tank. I only saw one little spike in ammonia only a few hours after part broke. my ammonia levels have been 0ppm all night and this morning. why cant people just do there job..how hard is it to take an order and ship it to the customer. at least i'm getting my money back.

how secure is my BB in tank water with plenty of oxygen but no food sourse for very little since last night

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think you should be OK. In April my filters went 7 days without power.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wow..did u lose your cycle or get a huge spike when you did get your filter going? How did u preserve your BB

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks Prov...I finally spoke to the Manager over at hagen...apparently they say they shipped it, and Fed ex says they do not have a package. either way she promised me they are shipping another one now and I will recieve it tommorrow morning.

I asked her if she was familiar with the Nitrogen cycle and if she had any fish, just so she could appreciate the importance of this part to get my filter going again. She said NO..I have cats. HA! Even at Hagen they know nothing about BB and the nitrogen cycle. ironic isn't it.

No signs of ammonia in the tank..my HOB is doing it's job...but after I get this 405 up and running I aint ever opening the Impellar well again My Oscar is doing flips because he wants his **** food and I dont want to feed him or my catfish yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts