Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I've posted a picture of this tank since it was set up. It's been up and running for a few months now, 8ft long, 135gal. Stocked with 22 juvies at the moment - most confirmed males before they went in, but some juvies that will probably need to come out when I find out they're females.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
The rocks are one of my favorite parts of a tank and yours are very appealing. Those OBs are big!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rocks and substrate are very eye catching. Thanks for showing. Will you provide a little more info (type and source) on your choice of substrate please/thanks.

Regards,
Stu

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Those OBs aren't actually big - they're about 5", they just happen to be the biggest in the tank right now lol. Everything else is still small.

The sand is just regular old pool filter sand. It's AquaQuartz pool filter sand, #20 grade. I'm in Canada, so I get it at Canadian Tire here. Not sure where else carries it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sinister-Kisses said:
Thanks everyone. Those OBs aren't actually big - they're about 5", they just happen to be the biggest in the tank right now lol. Everything else is still small.

The sand is just regular old pool filter sand. It's AquaQuartz pool filter sand, #20 grade. I'm in Canada, so I get it at Canadian Tire here. Not sure where else carries it.
Thanks. I'm in the Lower Mainlnd so I'm sure it will be avaiable at the local Can Tire.

Regards,
Stu

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stu W2 said:
Sinister-Kisses said:

Thanks. I'm in the Lower Mainlnd so I'm sure it will be avaiable at the local Can Tire.

Regards,
Stu
Oh perfect then! I just assume most people are in the States lol.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deeda said:
I love it, nice set up and especially love the tank length!
Me too!! It was a bit of a pain to pick up, in another town a couple hours away and we had to shell out for a rental truck to go get it...but the length of it while still being a reasonable 135 gal made it worth it to me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm sure SinisterKisses will respond but I'll mention that a decade or so ago I used to get great rocks at a large masonary supply place on Oldfield Rd. off Keating X Rd. in Central Saanich. It had those kind as well as dozens of others. I moved away years ago so don't know if it's still there but if you are on the lower Island it might be worth checking out. It was next door to a boat sales outfit and acroos the street from a big gym.

Regards,
Stu

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jcover said:
Looks great! Where'd you get your rocks from? I'm also a BC resident
From a local river ;) (I'm on Vancouver Island).

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nadda, definitely not limestone. I couldn't tell you exactly what they ARE, but definitely not limestone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very nice! I'm in BC too. Nice to see so many of us on here!

Basalt rocks maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
marten said:
Very nice! I'm in BC too. Nice to see so many of us on here!

Basalt rocks maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks a lot like basalt to me. Here is an image of basalt I got from the net...

basalt.jpg

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, could be...the pic you post doesn't look quite right, but mine have been sitting out in the weather along a riverbank for who know how long, so might have altered them enough from what looks like pretty fresh/clean rocks in the pic just enough.

And yes - I'm discovering a surprising number of BC-ites are on this site!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts