Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought my 55 G aquarium in July, I have gone through three manual gravel vacuums. I know how to use them and the last one I had worked for a good 7 months and it just stopped working one day. Oh course, I bought a new one and it worked perfectly last week and now it's the same thing...

I've very careful with them and it's just so frustrating. Does anyone else have this problem? It seems like whatever was preventing the water from going backwards isn't working properly because every time I move the siphon up and down in the water, the water doesn't move down the tube.

Is there some trick I'm missing or should I just go buy a different type of cleaning system?

Thanks in advance,

Jayn

·
Registered
39 Posts
put your lips on the end of the tube and suck until water starts to draw up the tubes, capillary action will take care of the rest.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
On occasion that flapper valve on these types can get "stuck" and with a toothpick can be "unstuck". You need to remove the tubing and look inside to see this flapper.

Also if you run water positively, (backwards such as trying to fill the tank), thru this flapper it can get damaged. Don't ask me how I know this as it is on a Need to Know basis only.

I have read somewhere that if you submerge the entire gravel vac up to the tubing and shake it back and forth it also helps get the siphon started. HTH's

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for replying so quickly.

Along with all your advice, this video also helped, especially if that flap is broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_440Oa ... re=related

I'll have to take it apart and investigate to see if the flap is stuck. Meanwhile, one of those hand pumps could make the method in the video easier I think.

The most important thing is that the tank is clean for the week!

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks identical to the one I have, except it's all grey. Try filling it up completely with water like the video indicates.

Maybe they're just a bad type to buy. It seems like you never know if they're going to work or not.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Most likely the flapper is stuck. Take the tubing off the gravel tube cap. Poke a tooth pick down through the hose barb to knock the flapper down. It should work fine once you loosen it up.

Andy

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Elijah said:
I still cannot get the siphon to work. I think I'm gonna splurge and buy a battery operated gravel vac.
Or just pony up and get a python.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Aedes said:
put your lips on the end of the tube and suck until water starts to draw up the tubes, capillary action will take care of the rest.
Doesn't get any simpler than this.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
BillD said:
Aedes said:
Doesn't get any more gross either. I would never put my mouth on a siphon hose.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
prov356 said:
BillD said:
Aedes said:
Doesn't get any more gross either. I would never put my mouth on a siphon hose.
It's really not that gross, unless you get a mouthful of water accidentally...then it is very gross. :oops: But it's definitely the easiest way to start a siphon.

There are a lot of things way dirtier than a siphon hose out there that we all touch and ingest daily...

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
There are a lot of things way dirtier than a siphon hose out there that we all touch and ingest daily...
I don't. I wash my hands. You people are using Liseterine after, right? That hose sits with some water in it for days between uses, so a breeding ground for bacteria, algae, fungus, molds, mildew, and who knows what not. Very disgusting, but just my .02.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've been starting siphons by mouth for years. Sure its gross if you think about it too much, but so are a lot of other things we do. I've never gotten sick or had issues from it, even when I got a mouth full of water...which is pretty gross, but meh. I do have one hose I don't like using anymore because it's visibly gross, but I just clean or replace it. One has to think, if the siphon hose gets that nasty, is it safe to be putting in an aquarium?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
you dont need to suck on the hose,get the air out of the tube(the piece thats in the aquarium),make sure theres only water in it,pump it up and down rapidly to start the siphon

·
Registered
623 Posts
I use my mouth and am a person who rarely gets sick, so im probably just immune to it now. Another way is to plug one end with your thumb, fill the siphon with water, raise it above your head to allow the tube to fill with water, insert back into tank having siphon pointing to the surface to get any airlocks out, then let your thumb off and you have a siphon. I do this only the odd time, as mouth is much easier and actually less messy.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
For the record, I normally use a python. I just use a 3/4" hose concurrently with the python for larger tanks that take hours to drain. It's more convenient. I'm actually thinking of making a DIY faucet siphon like a python, but with a larger diameter hose.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts