Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend needs our stocking advice on he's 100 gallon tank.Lots of rocks and caves really nice tank. He's not so sure about some fish he has in there so he wanted me to ask. Here's what he has.

1 Metriaclima lombardoi female (Kenyi)
1 Metriaclima callainos male (Colbalt Zebra)
1 Metriaclima pyrsonotos male (Red Top Zebra) He didn't really know but said it looks like the one in my picture on the left of this page
2 Pseudotropheus unsexed (I think Acei)
2 Labidochromis 1m and 1f (Electric Yllow
2 Pseudotropheus unsexed (I call them Bumble Bees)
2 Pseudotropheus socolofi unsexed (Pindani)
1 hemichromis guttatus unsexed (Red Jewel)
1 Albino cichlid, not sure about this one, hes wife picked it up at the LFS while buy food.
all fish are between 1.5 to 2.5 inches

He wanted me to thank you for your help. He was in a wreck and broke he's wrist. Oh and can't wait to join the forum when he gets well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
His girlfriend just called me, they are reading this post and said I put the wrong gallons.
Its 65g not 100g. Sorry Dude!!! Hope you feel better.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? Sometimes 65G is 36" x 18". A 36" tank is stocked differently than a 48" tank regardless of gallons.

If it is a 48" tank I might remove the duplicates and females and see if it will work with the current fish. That would give you about the right number of fish for all-male.

If you want mixed genders, you would want to choose 3 species for a 48" tank and stock 1m:4f of each. Three different genus, but you can double up on Pseudotropheus.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I had a similar stock up until last week for 2 years. Worked fine for me, mind you I didn't have The bumble bee and maybe another species. I find the zebras wicked aggressive. If your kenyi is a male and turns yellow it may make things tougher if your other zebras are males as well. My dominant male zebra killed a few of my fish. At this point you have a while before the real aggression starts. Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to see his tank last night. Pretty nice! All the fish look pretty young and didnt see any aggression the whole time I was there. I told him to just leave it for now and see what happens. I really want his pseudotropheus socolofi. I love those fish. After seeing them last night I think im going to setup one of my tanks with a bunch of then and a bunch of yellow labs with some black sand. Anyone know how aggressive those socolofi are?

·
Registered
443 Posts
GTZ said:
kajunfish said:
Anyone know how aggressive those socolofi are?
In my experience they're mid level towards tankmates, higher amongst themselves.
I had a 6-7" Socolofi (Pindani) that was very aggresive. He would start a fight with all my africans. I had a 8" Midas in there and he would pick fights with him too. I eventually had to get rid of him as he was constantly chasing and fighting everyone.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Soco are hit and miss. Mine was aggressive but wouldn't hurt any others, just chased. He was solitary of his species, so if you got multiple females should be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.