Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im posting 3/4 flowerhorns (ones healing) and my kirin parrot, all comments are welcome except the expected "i hate hybrids" or "kill them".

MP quality Zhen Zhu Malau (6")


Faded Kamfa (not MP quality) (6")


Dirty Kamfa (most likely not MP quality, but anything is possible)(3-4")


Kirin Parrot (MP color, suspected female (1")
 
G

·
Nice ones...

About the hybrid think, I don't have anything against most (example the camel back catfish is just an atrocity) hybrids, especially since most are beautiful (like the ruby red peacock, Ob peacock and fryeri, albino white knight fryeri and albino protomelas taiwan reef), I just hate it when people sell hybrids as pure pedigrees.

Still, nice flowerhorn. Which is the one that's healing?

~Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
Love your fish Gage!! :thumb: Your ZZ Malau is outstanding and your Kirin parrot is awesome!! :D :D And I like the color of your "faded kamfa" but I wonder why you call the other fish a "dirty kamfa"?? Is it because it doesn't have any spangles yet?? (Just trying to educate myself on the different types of flowerhorns...which can be very confusing) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
Wouldn't Albino species be just normal not hybrid cause i though albino gene is a recessive gene that every one can carry??

Casue if thats the case i guess in high school i had a friend that was hybrid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
I know that but some people say that when there are albino fish they are hybrids but everyone carrys the recessive trait to be albino.. At least thats what i learned at school.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
Marduk said:
hybrids, especially since most are beautiful (like the ruby red peacock, Ob peacock and fryeri, albino white knight fryeri and albino protomelas taiwan reef),
I wasn't very clear sorry i know those stay hybrid but like that with the fryeri.
Also i remember someone posting pictures of there albino eye biter and someone said it was hybrid.
 
G

·
danielratti said:
Marduk said:
hybrids, especially since most are beautiful (like the ruby red peacock, Ob peacock and fryeri, albino white knight fryeri and albino protomelas taiwan reef),
I wasn't very clear sorry i know those stay hybrid but like that with the fryeri.
Also i remember someone posting pictures of there albino eye biter and someone said it was hybrid.
The albino taiwan reef is likely a hybrid. The albino gene is very rare and most asian or florida pond breeders cross breed species to get albino haps or OB peacocks/haps. The albino fryeri is a hybrid, Fogelhund said in a post a while ago that he bred them once and got different looking fry a couple times.

Not all albino fish are hybrids, it's just very very unlikely that its pedigree is pure in my opinion.

Doesn't mean that ATR's or Albino S. fryeri's aren't beautiful though, just that they are directly related to their ancestral wild species.

~Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
Well the albino gene is very rare in humans also so its kinda like people.

The asian importers are kinda killing the hobby for me casue im hearing about all the stuff there doing with fish it kinda bothers me upsets me more then bothers me.

I knew Ob was a hybrid from the go when i first saw one. But i haven't yet seen the albino fryeri when i do i will for sure buy it
 
G

·
danielratti said:
Well the albino gene is very rare in humans also so its kinda like people.

The asian importers are kinda killing the hobby for me casue im hearing about all the stuff there doing with fish it kinda bothers me upsets me more then bothers me.

I knew Ob was a hybrid from the go when i first saw one. But i haven't yet seen the albino fryeri when i do i will for sure buy it
Rocky Mountain Cichlids has juveniles in stock. They are a beautiful one...I've considered getting some before but decided that with my new current display tank I'd prefer all natural species...

http://www.rockymountaincichlids.com/malawi_prices.htm

Actually they did have them in stock but are out of stock. I'd give them a call and see if you can reserve some or get an idea when their new fry when be big enough to ship.

Here's two topics showing pictures of the albino fryeri (aka "White Knight Ahli"):
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=157342
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=157296

And this website: http://www.cichlidlovers.com/s_fryeri_albino.htm <---They claim they're true albinos...but as Fogelhund pointed out they are likely hybrids. Still, an awesome fish....just as long as no one tries to introduce them into the wild...

~Ed
 
G

·
danielratti said:
Well the albino gene is very rare in humans also so its kinda like people.

The asian importers are kinda killing the hobby for me casue im hearing about all the stuff there doing with fish it kinda bothers me upsets me more then bothers me.

I knew Ob was a hybrid from the go when i first saw one. But i haven't yet seen the albino fryeri when i do i will for sure buy it
And I agree about the asian importers. A few months ago my LFS (who loves the cheap prices of the hormoned african cichlids they get from asia) got very obvious Protomelas taeniatus Red Empress X Dimidiochromis compressiceps hybrids...they were very freaky looking...

Then there's the camel back catfish (TheFishGuy posted a picture of them once in a topic a while back)....

~Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
heylady said:
Love your fish Gage!! :thumb: Your ZZ Malau is outstanding and your Kirin parrot is awesome!! :D :D And I like the color of your "faded kamfa" but I wonder why you call the other fish a "dirty kamfa"?? Is it because it doesn't have any spangles yet?? (Just trying to educate myself on the different types of flowerhorns...which can be very confusing) :)
LOL, i thought it was a joke to, but is actually the type of Kamfa it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sick-Lid-4-Life said:
What determines whether or not you consider it a "MP" ? Is that not subjective ?
ill list the few main things to consider your flowerhorn an MP (masterpiece)

- large kok (hump)
- intense colors
- Consistent Pearling
- Short Body
- Short Face
- fins need to either be large and flowing or wrap tail (which is pretty much a very tall tail so it almost makes it look like the dorsal, anal, and caudal fin are one big fin.

these are just a few things to help determine, and this is the criteria for the type of flowerhorn my nice one is, ZZM.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top