Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two small aquatic turtles, about 2.5-3" in length who have been living with my adult african cichlids. I have an aggressive male hongi who I have kept by himself on and off because he gets in fights ALL THE TIME and ends up in the hospital tank. Today I decided to place him in the main tank while I cleaned out his tank. Ofcourse he was getting picked on, but everything was fine and dandy for awhile. My turtles are always trying to nip at my fish, but have never been successful because they end up getting attacked instead. Somehow, my turtles got a hold of him. He usually fights them off by displaying aggressive behavior carrying them away. But I don't know what happened--I think they ambushed him. Cause that's never happened before. By the time I got to him, I thought he was a goner. I removed him as soon as I could into a hospital tank. He was floating on his side for a while, but is now upright but is still having problems swimming. His two fins are fine, and his dorsal fin and tail is slightly torn. I noticed a bruise white in color, probably missing scales by his tail. Either than that, no open wounds. I have him in a 35 gallon, filter, heater, I also added melafix and some aquarium salt. Right now he's just chilling on the bottom of the tank and backs away when he see's me.

I know what you guys are thinking--I shouldn't have my turtles with my africans. I know the risks, but up until now I had no problems. I feel so awful. Can any of you guys give me suggestions or help? Do you guys think he'll make it? He's pulled through alot before, he's a pretty strong guy. I've had him for almost 3 years now, and don't wanna lose him :(

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad. Keep nitrates really low...at or under 10ppm. The hospital tank is cycled, right?

Watch him closely for fuzzy growth on the wounds and if that happens, treat with maracyn and/or maracyn2.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is. Is that an antibiotic? Where exactly can I purchase that? The only pet store I go to is 45min away, and I don't want to waste my time if its something I can't find in stores. Thank you though. He's still alive this morning. I'm hoping he recovers and isn't suffering from any internal damage.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, the place I go to ( That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA ) has it in powder form. Is that okay?

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
They are antibiotics and my fish stores carry them. Call first though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. They sell it at petsmart so I'm heading there during my lunch break.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got home from work & he's still alive. I added the maracyn, but I'm not sure if he'll pull through. It is evident that his tail is severely injured & his fins are badly torn. He didn't look that bad this morning and 16 hours later. . .he looks awful. I did a 50% water change & added the maracyn and a little aquarium salt. Do you think it was a safe idea to place something in his tank for him to hide or lay low in? I figured it would decrease his stress & he wouldn't have to swim so much since he's constantly fighting to stay upright. His tail keeps floating upwards & he keeps fighting to stay horizontal/upright. Now he's hiding in there, I just hope he doesn't die in there :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts