Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I guess you can say I'm in a good mood. I just got my fish delivered, and they all look healthy. I ordered 12 Mainganos and 8 yellow labs from a popular dealer on here. The Mainganos look gorgeous, and are a about 2 inches. The yellow Labs look about an 1 1/2 inches. I was surprised about how the Mainganos were so colored, but I wasnt sure if they looked like that as fry or not. But I must say that I'm pleased with the way everything looks so far.

It's fun watching them swim from one side of the tank to the other, and looking around in the caves. I took a few pics....some not so good because of my lousy pic-taking, but I will have more pics in the next few days I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Those mainganos are looking awsome!! :thumb: I hope you get a good ratio of m:f.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL thanks GaFishman. They are active little fish.

The Labs seem to get along with the MAinganos pretty well. They are all traveling together in a big school.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very nice! Was I right that you'd fall in love with them? Over the next day you should start seeing their huge personality.

Glad to hear they all made it safe and sound.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JoelRHale said:
Very nice! Was I right that you'd fall in love with them? Over the next day you should start seeing their huge personality.

Glad to hear they all made it safe and sound.
Thanks bud! I appreciate it! I can see why you recommended them.....and I thank you!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Those labs are too cute!

Congrats on the new fishies :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
As they get bigger keep an eye on their pelvic fins (bottom, front). The males will have longer pelvic fins that each pretty much back to the anal fins. The females will have shorter ones that look almost like they have been clipped vertically and don't reach to the anal fins.

Male (not a great angle, but you can still see how they trail back further) Disregard the Yellow Lab

2 Females (you can see how the pelvic fins stop short) Disregard the Blue Dolphin (Ndonga)

Didn't have time to crop the extra fish out...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great! Thanks for the advice. It will help when I need to keep the ratio right. What other species do you keep with yours?

·
Registered
291 Posts
(just realized I switched the names of the extra fish in the pictures, but the difference is obvious...)

Current stock list for my mbuna tank:
Yellow Labs
Maingano
Metriaclima sp. "dolphin" (Ndonga) "Giant Demasoni"

I previously had Yellow Tail Acei in there as wel, but moved them to my 75G as they got bigger. I have only had intra-species aggression, never across species. In fact, the largest Yellow Lab (the one in the picture) breaks up any fights betwen same species fish.

The link in my sig is a short video of the tank. It has been up and running for almost 12 months now with that mix. I have moved out some adult males of the mainganos and the labs, but the species have remained the same.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Giant Demasoni will eventually have to go to a bigger tank, but hopefully they will spawn so we can keep some juveniles in this tank. My wife reall likes them in the front room. If I'm lucky maybe I can parlay it into a 120 for that room :D .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts