Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to everyone here I've lost very few fish. Last night I lost an entire tank of Yellow labs, Acei, and Demasoni. I have a single large heater and it evidently stuck on. My daughter woke me this morning to tell me the fish were dead. I noticed the tank temp was 98. Never had a problem before, wish I had read post on here before about 2 or 3 small heaters rather than 1 large heater.

Odd part is I lost all 14 adult Dems, 8 Acei, 8 Yellows. I also lost 3 baby yellows, but I have about 15 to 20 dem fry who seem fine. I removed all rockwork and did a 75 percent water change after removing the fish. I replaced the malfuctioning heater with 3 small ones. Problem is I have gravel bottom with some large gravel the fry hide under. Should I attempt to remove the fry to a smaller tank or just let them grow out.

The only good part I have another 55 gallon identical to this with same stock list and should soon be able to restock both tanks with present fry in both.

Hopefully this can save another newbie from this, I'll use multiple small heaters from now on.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sorry about your losses. Since they are in there already, you could leave them in there. Just need to make sure you have enough of an ammonia source to keep your tank in check until they grow out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
the smaller the fish, the more tolerant they seem to be to heat. I recently had a very similiar situation where I lost my dems, yellow labs, and acei.

My beleif is that the smaller fish have lower o2 requirement which is what allows them to make it thru a boil where the adults have not.

sorry to hear about your loss, i feel your pain!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
So sorry about your loss but glad you have enough existing stock to restock the tank.

I'm with TheeMon and wonder why you have 2-55's with the same stock lol. Is the one tank fry you've had? If I had 2-55's running I think I'd have different stock in the second tank just so I'd have more species lol but I'm a species nut and would love to have lots and lots of different ones.

I just had a heater overheat too. I really wish I would have got my glasses on to know for sure what the temp actually was but I was in to much of a panic trying to cool the water off some. I was lucky in that I caught it in time and only lost one fish...so far.

I'm going to be getting a new heater(s) too and will probably go with smaller ones.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
btw my personal fav. is the Stealth heater, a little more expensive but its not glass, and its guarenteed for life. (just the heaters guarenteed, not the fish in the tank)

·
Registered
299 Posts
:? really wish they would figure out some way to avoid this terrible issue. Like a different kind of metal on the contact that wont melt as easy. I dunno you would think these companies would come out with something! :x

Sorry to hear for your losses. :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Reading about stuff like this is why I don't even use my heaters anymore. In the big tank it goes from 76.5-83.5 from winter to summer. That's a big range but fish are still breeding so it seems ok...

Better luck with restocking.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've left them in and have removed all but my 2 small sponge filters to my other 55's. I've switched my others tanks to 2 smaller heaters each to prevent this again. I disposed of malfunctioning heater, and put the other two of simlar size up for future use, hopefully I'll get a 150 to 200 gallon tank soon and can use them as 2 small heaters there.

I have 2 identical tanks for several reasons, first I think this combination is cool, second being new to this I wanted backup for just this type of event, third I manged to get all these fish at a auction or via trades for next to nothing. Plus I have decided which other species I'm interested in.

Dan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I reset my tanks, I have all my tanks with 3 small heaters rather than one large to prevent another incident. I also was able to save over 40 demasoni fry from the bottom of the tank. Thanks again

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that. I have had numerous problems with one of my tanks, and that happened to my tank, I feel very lucky though, because my temp, overnight had reached to 93^, :eek: and luckily(thankfully) i did not lose a fish. Since then I am Constantly checking my tank temps!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My first Cichlid set up was also victim to this. I had a really nice Mbuna set up with a breeding Acei group and a breeding Yellow Lab group. I chose to skimp a few bugs and by some knockoff brand heater at a chain Pet store. Big mistake along with choosing a 250W heater for a 55G!
I replaced said junk filter with a 200w Stealth that apparently has a automatic shutoff switch to avoid future issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts