Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm not new to the hobby but am new to the idea of a all Tanganyika tank. I've had various mixed africian tanks for about 10 years now. I've had a lot of success with mixing fish from all 3 lakes. Usually all males. Like many others my tank is often a bit over stocked with all males. I get great color and really enjoy growing them out. I've have had just about every peacock, and hap. Beutiful fronts, Steveni, Red empress, Phenos, Calvus, Pollini, and way too many more to mention. Im honestly just getting a bit sick of going into the stores and finding *** had or have all the fish they have. I just dont seem to find anything intresting anymore. I still love the ones i have. Just need something new. (not all of my pics are on my profile, but ill try and update it soon.)
Recently I went to my first fish auction and met a few breeders that had some amazing Tanganyikans. For the firs time ever I wanted to start area specific tank. Still will be a community tank but all from Tanganyikans. I guess whats pulling me in this directions is the unique body shapes and fin shapes.
The basics of starting the tank i can handle just fine. But since my tanks have been more geared towred the typical african tanks I figured a post on here might get me some good advice on things that might cause even a fairly experienced fish keeper some problems when stepping into this arena.
Im starting kinda small with a 55 gallon but will but upgradeing to a 100+ in the next 6 months. Right now I need order some substrate. Im certain im going with some caribsea sand or small gravel but cant seem to decide. I have the black and white echo-complete in my mixed show tank and LOVE that stuff but was thinking of maybe going with perhaps the Ivory Coast sand or the White Sand. Either one with some black slate to make the caves and ledges stacked up. I would go with some texas holey but my connection to get it cheap has since doubled his prices. Sooooo anyways....lol Any suggestions fish or substrate or anything else wise is welcome. I just want to start a good discusion.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One suggestion I'll offer substrate-wise is to consider plain-old sand. You can get PFS, or playsand, or sandblasting sand, whatever suits your tastes size and color wise. The big win with any of them is that you can get them very cheap - instead of paying $20 for a small bag of premium substrate, you can pay $5 (or less) for a huge 50 pound bag of sand, even less if you buy bulk sand at a landscaping supply. If you're just doing one tank, it might not matter so much, but if you're doing a few tanks, the cost savings does add up. Some of them will take some work to get clean (cheaper playsands tend to have a lot of fine silt), but a minute or two with a bucket and a hose will do the trick.

If you're used to malawians, you're probably familiar with the concept of overstocking. With tangs, you'll want to give each its space. This leads to much lower stocking levels, and it's definitely a different aesthetic, but one that I find appeals to me, and might appeal to you as well.

For species suggestions, try looking through the articles section on this site.

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
A nice stocking for a 55G is three species, one for the bottom, one for the rocks and one for upper water. Example is a colony of shellies (multifasciatus), a dozen non-jumbo cyprichromis like utinta and a pair of altolamprologus calvus.

I found an article here and a cookie cutter there for Tangs to be a little over-ambitious, so be sure to post your choices and get input from the members.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this is what im thinking as of right now.
4 Paracyprichromis nigripinnis
4 Cyprichromis leptosoma
2 Chalinochromis brichardi
3 Neolamprologus calliurus
3-Lamprologus meleagris

I honestly have no idea how hard any of these are to find or which variations I will want to get. I was able to meet one person who seemed to have a wealth of info that I can tap in to. Plus he breeds most :D

Any suggestions? Remember im in a 55 now but will be in a 100+ within 5-6months

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cyps and paracyps both prefer larger groups. I'd recommend 6+ for paras, and 8+ for cyps.

As far as the 100+ goes, I've been in the same situation, and the larger tank didn't happen quite as quickly as I thought it would. My recommendation is to plan your stocking for the 55, you can add a species later when you move to the bigger tank.

So, I'd suggest a stocking of one of the shelldweller species, and two from the cyps, paracyps, or C Brichardi. Paracyps are something of an odd duck. They're not entirely openwater, and they're not entirely rockdwellers. I haven't personally kept them together with cyps, but do know of folks who have, and they claim they work well together.

The C Brichardi are a pairing fish, and I presume you're probably not going to buy an adult pair, but juvies, which means you may have to be prepared to move the extras once a pair forms.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im 99% sure on the tank. Mony isnt the issue. Just a matter of finding the one I want. Im rather picky and debate on stuff too long. lol. Well. when its going to be something of a show tank i do. With my other stuff i kinda shoot from the hip.

So your thinking more like

2 Chalinochromis brichardi
3 Neolamprologus calliurus
3-Lamprologus meleagris
2 Paracyprichromis nigripinnis
?? Or since the tank wont be so full of cyphs or Para cyphs i can get a few more shell/rock dwellers? Maybe some calvus?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'v always heard about the "brichardi death squad" that is, when your pair forms and starts
breeding, they will murder every thing else in the tank, and populate it with their offspring.

I have a 55 Tang tank now, a little overpopulated at present, but the bigger fish are still small juvies growing out:

2 A. comp juvies
3 A. black calvus juvies
a trio of multis (the tank bosses, gaurding their fry)
a pair of gold occies

A very interesting tank to sit and watch.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would consider a group of shelldwellers bigger than 3 to really see their behavior. In a 55 You could start with say 8 meleagris, 4 buescheri, and 3 calvus or compressiceps, and when you upgrade your tank size get a large group of cyps

·
Registered
80 Posts
DJRansome said:
A nice stocking for a 55G is three species, one for the bottom, one for the rocks and one for upper water. Example is a colony of shellies (multifasciatus), a dozen non-jumbo cyprichromis like utinta and a pair of altolamprologus calvus.
Wei Fun said:
Cyps and paracyps both prefer larger groups. I'd recommend 6+ for paras, and 8+ for cyps.
It doesn't seem to me you are grasping some of the advice that has already been given in this thread.
I can only reiterate the sentiment above. I have a 55 gallon tang community that I have had set up for 5 months now. I have 7 Julidochromis transcriptus Gombi, 13 Cyprichromis leptosoma Kerenge Island, 7 Lamprologus brevis Kitumba, and 9 of Razzo's beautiful Calvus BCWP.

Typically that is an overstocked Tang community tank....but they are all juvies and I am looking to establish pairs/groups with each species and then remove others as needed when the bonds form.

You are doing the right thing by coming here for advice, I did 6 months of research before I set up my tank. Then 2 more months after that before I added fish. The information you get here is only as good as you apply it though.
Best of luck...you are on the right path!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The "Brichardi Death Squad" applies to N Brichardi, not C brichardi, football mom. I don't think the chalinos are nearly as vicious.

nwr, I think I might not have expressed myself well. I tried to suggest 2 species between cyps, paracyps and chalinos. If you want the paracyps, go with 6+ fish.

·
Registered
80 Posts
6+ may indeed work for the para cyps. I'm fairly certain members like Prov and others with much experience with them would and have recommended starting with a greater number, more like 10+.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I really do appriciate it. This is going to be a slow process for me. I'm really likeing the idea of this tank so far. I will keep you all informed of any changes...or should i say decisions since there isnt anything to change as of yet. The tank is up and just has water and a few gold fish in it for now until i decide for sure which kind of substrate I will be useing. Still leaning towred the Caribsea sand. I know its a bit pricey but I really love the way it looks and im familier with the product since i have it in my Mixed african tank. I would be almost certain I will be starting with a had full of Shell dwellers as my first purchase.(about a month from now i assume) and from there who knows where it will go. As i find fish in the profiles i will be posting them to get your opinions.
And PLEASE PLEASE keep posting. I love to hear everyones opinions. Everyones thoughts and ideas are welcome.
Right now it would be cool if anyone could post a few pics of the fish they have or maybe point out some rare to sem-rare fish that would make a real stand out in this up and coming tank.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One thing about the Calvus.....I have had 7 over the past years and mine seem to not like other calvus. The first one i had was awesome so then i got a compressiceps mwela orange to go with him thinking there would be enough space and a ridiculous amount of rocks and hiding places they would be fine but they ended up killing eachother. I got another 3 Black calvus and then 2 white calvus thinking maybe a group would do fine.....they couldnt stand eachother. I ended up selling them off before things got too hostile. and Yes i had LOTS of rocks and hideing places.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Stock the 55 with 12 paracyps, and some meleagris. I wouldn't mix rock dwellers with the paracyps and wouldn't do less than 10-12 paracyps, just me. Paracyp males are cave, meaning rock, dwellers and not up for dealing with other boisterous rock dwellers IME. Once you upgrade, you could consider adding a small sand sifter. A single male calliurus with a couple females might work, but I've not had these yet. Hard to find. Let me know if you find any :) . I do xeno's with paracyps, with brevis territories in the corners. The tank needs nothing else and adding anything would detract. And that's in six feet. I've heard of many paracyp owners who's males don't show well, and wrong tank mates might be why.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts