Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well about a month ago I was on here asking for some suggestions and promised I would post a few pics after I got things up and running. So.....Here we are!
Questions, comments, suggestions are always welcome :)
***Disclaimer*** Yes I know the rock work sucks. I'm just using left over pieces I had laying around from my 90g all male tank.

·
Registered
705 Posts
nice tank. i have a bunch of leftover lace rock myself. basically did the same thing lolz. just my humble opinion here but i think you could really use a visit to the craft store to pick up some shells for ur little guys. for ten bucks u get all u could ever really need. its what i did to save some money. gl to ya. either way its a nice setup.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have some young Paracyps in my tank now that look just like that.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Very nice! Congrats!

Did you put some sort of adhesive on the PVC and roll it in your black substrate?

Russ

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments.
Yes, thats the black sand i have attached to the pvc with aquarium silicone. I wanted to give it a shot to see how they look. Too be honest...I really like them. The longer they are in the tank the less of them you see. the fish are starting to bury them down so all you see is the little white hole. I really like the shells too though. I am actually picking up more shells for dirt cheap from a friend. He gave me a few to start then i ended up with 13 multies instead of 8. I have enough shells for all of them but...the Calvus took one, and a few of the males seem to want 2-3 shells...lol. So i have a hole bunch otw. I added this really cool shell someone gave me the other day..its a big conch shell but its not whole...its aged and pitted and you can see everywhere inside of it...it has like 3 little caves...Looks absolutly amazing. Ill take a pic tonight and try and post it.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I kind of like the tank but the contrast between the rocks and the sand is too much for me. I think it reduces the impact of the stars of the show the cichlids.
To get more colour out of your paracyps you kind of need dark overhang for them to hang out in/under.
The black sand is not to everyones taste but it does show those fish off well (if it were not for the jaring white rocks).

But do not get me wrong its a pleasure to see photos of others tanks. Even if it is only to push me in a different direction than yours.

All the best James

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Looks good!

About the white rocks, unless he is taking them out and boiling them every so often, they won't stay that white. He should get a nice coat of algae on them. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
frank1rizzo said:
Looks good!

About the white rocks, unless he is taking them out and boiling them every so often, they won't stay that white. He should get a nice coat of algae on them. :thumb:
Agree a tank should look a little garish when first set up things tend to equal out over time. But thats taking things a bit far for a show tank?

Main thing that worries me about the tank set up is not the look but the thickness of the substrate. Going to be a big job keeping that from becomming dirty and stop it collecting muck long term? I keep my substate thin for the good reason I get no real bad suprises when I stir it up.

Boy do I wish there was holy rock with holes as big as that available in the UK great for small breeding tanks. 8)

All the best James

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont actually plan on leaving most of these rocks in there...Its just what i had laying around left over from my other tank so i figured why not just use those until I find something I cant live without. Its already growing lots of algae. The fish are moving the sand where they want it and everything is nicely falling in to place. I will most likely change the background a few more times too...I was hoping the one that is on it would be a bit brighter or at least reflect a bid more. Its a black/silver type cloth that I got from the craft store. *** been debating on doing a fancy foam background but in a small tank like this that would take up a lot of space.

As far as the thickness of my substrate. I have significantly deeper sand in my 90 gallon for 4 years now. No problems. the fish tend to move things around so things don't lay around long. Not to mention I do enough water changes to compensate for it if there is problem. I use a python when i do water changes and tend to swirl things around once a week too. Thanks for the concern though :)

Thanks for all the comments btw!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.